UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Oct 2022, 2:50 am   #1
dragonser
Heptode

Default Mystery item from boot sale

Hi, a neighbour got this from a boot sale, but what is it?

It seems to measure the AC current of an attached piece of equipment and also have a DC panel meter built in. It is very well constructed, wire looms being tied together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20221005-WA0001.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	265718   Click image for larger version

Name:	20221006_070124.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	265719  
Old 7th Oct 2022, 5:15 am   #2
dragonser
Heptode

Default Re: Mystery item from boot sale

Another pic..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221007_032911.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	265720   Click image for larger version

Name:	20221007_032935.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	265721  
Old 7th Oct 2022, 7:37 am   #3
Radio Wrangler

I'd rate the construction quality as 'rather mixed'. There is some lacing of wiring, but the ends of the wires are left soldered to tags without any support such as heat shrink or Hellerman sleeves. It doesn't look to have been mechanically designed, rather things have been put where space was found inside the box. The parts inside are good quality. It has the look of a tester built quickly as a one-off.

It can measure mains current on either a 300mA or 1.5A scale with the moving coil meter.

It can measure mains voltage on the digital panel meter on a 400V AC scale.

It can measure DC voltage on the DPM on either 40 or 400V scales.

It looks like an application-specific tester for power supplies which are mains powered and output two different DC voltages, I'd guess 28v and 300v. from the scales

It doesn't seem to have any power loads, so it's just an output voltage check or adjustment it's for.

The mains current scales suggest a magnetising current check, and one with the DUT driving some not-included load.

I doubt you'll come across or need whatever it did, but there are some nice parts for building something else!

David
Old 7th Oct 2022, 7:47 am   #4
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Also the mix of analogue and digital meters suggest a "one-off" built for a specific need.

Peter
Old 7th Oct 2022, 10:05 am   #5
The Philpott
Dekatron

The poor quality plating on the steel facia screws is classic 'seventies Farnell, also the terminals and possibly the selector. The voltages might suggest testing chargers used for lorries and fork lift trucks..? That theory still leaves too many questions/functions unanswered.
Dave
Old 8th Oct 2022, 8:44 am   #6
dragonser
Heptode

Hi, thank you for all the comments. After looking again it seems the meter is made by sifam and will possibly be a replacement for the faulty one on the weir 400 psu I have. But as the old meter got fried, I need to work out how to put some protection on it I think...
Old 9th Oct 2022, 10:47 am   #7
David Simpson
Nonode

Peter, I'll echo David's advice regarding using this to build something else. With your extensive electronics background, and an interest in vintage valve technology - its measurement facilities could be "re-purposed" into a DC Valve Tester building project. It's too good to leave at the back of a dusty shed for yonks or dumped in a skip.

Regards, David
Closed Thread