UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Old 28th Feb 2019, 3:59 pm   #281
Brigham
Octode

Default Re: Technology related anachronisms on TV and in films etc.

Amazing how quickly people have forgotten how to put a record on!
Brigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2019, 4:17 pm   #282
Steve G4WCS
Heptode

not vintage, but in the specsavers hearing ads advert at the arctic base where he asked on the radio for supplies and got a "surprise", Im a bit perplexed as too whey there is a farnell signal generatot sat atop his short wave transceiver
Steve G4WCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2019, 4:29 pm   #283
PaulR
Dekatron

I would have thought that to anyone with the slightest bit of mechanical insight the correct position of a gramophone arm would be obvious. As Andrew says it has become very common recently. As the use of technology increases the understanding of what is actually going on seems to decrease.

Fortunately my 1 year old granddaughter has become very attached to my recently restored Decca AMG111 record player and the pile of 78 rpm children's records we play on it. At least she may carry on the tradition!
Old 28th Feb 2019, 10:53 pm   #284
Herald1360
Dekatron

Technically I suppose that positioned as per Endeavour with the arm on the wrong side but the needle still trailing it would play. The tracking angles would still be miles out, though.
.........O..Chris....O
Herald1360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2019, 1:00 am   #285
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

(I posted about this elsewhere in the forum, apologies for the repetition)

The Manchester Metrolink used this record player analogy on a poster to promote its new ticketing scheme.

Click image for larger version

Name:	50905717_636763073445380_1496966427872841979_n (1).jpg
Views:	179
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	179213

The corresponding image on their website seems to have been corrected.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Metrolink-Zones-Launch-TfGM-Banner.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	179214
Graham G3ZVT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Mar 2019, 12:49 pm   #286
electronicskip
Nonode

Not exactly vintage but on Doctors, the lunchtime soap, I noticed that the police were wearing Baofeng 2mtr handhelds as their police radios!

Funny I've never heard any police on my identical model ha ha.
electronicskip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Mar 2019, 1:24 pm   #287
SteveCG
Nonode

On the latest episode of Endeavour. This was loosely set in about 1969/1970 I guess by the previous episodes. In which case the skyline of the village without a single Band I/III aerial in sight as well as UHF designs that somehow looked too modern for that era, had me smiling...
SteveCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 12:58 pm   #288
Radio Wrangler

I was just thinking of how much hassle it would be to change all the TV aerials in a village as a temporary measure for a few days of filming. Then I thought about what they'd think were suitable aerials considering their grasp of all other technologies.

David
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 1:21 pm   #289
julie_m
Dekatron

Surely changing the aerials on roofs is something you could do in post-production? It isn't as though you would have to draw every frame individually by hand these days .....
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 1:34 pm   #290
emeritus
Dekatron

I remember noticing all the TV aerials on the roofs of a Georgian terrace in a 1960's film set in the Victorian era. I think it was "The Wrong Box" featuring Peter Cook and Dudley Moore, but not absolutely sure, it was circa 1968.

Last edited by emeritus; 3rd Mar 2019 at 1:51 pm.
emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 1:41 pm   #291
Herald1360
Dekatron

I've just watched that (found it in a caravan I bought) and didn't notice anything. I'll have to have another look!
.........O..Chris....O
Herald1360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 1:51 pm   #292
Mike-repairman
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Yes, spotted that! It also looked suspiciously like an LP!
Yes you can see the separate tracks if you look closely.

Well that's put paid to that LP with that nice steel needle!

Last edited by Station X; 3rd Mar 2019 at 2:18 pm. Reason: Quote added to give context.
Mike-repairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 10:47 pm   #293
Electronpusher0
Nonode

I've just watched the Netflix film "The boy who harnessed the wind", a great piece of drama "based on a true story" about a boy in Malawi who built a windmill generator from scrap and used it to pump water so his village could have a harvest in the dry season. Indeed at the end they showed actual footage of the boy in question.

Unfortunately they compressed the actual steps he took in developing this and showed him charging a 12V car battery using a 6V bicycle dynamo and then using it to power a pump at the top of the well to suck up the water, without priming it first.

I have just ordered the autobiography to find out what really happened.

Peter
Electronpusher0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Apr 2019, 6:52 pm   #294
Grubhead
Heptode

Last night's Victoria on ITV had a steam loco with the British Railways emblem on the tender. And I thought the railways were nationalised in 1948!
Grubhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Apr 2019, 10:18 pm   #295
PaulR
Dekatron

I have just seen a recording of Victoria and commented to my wife that the loco was in BR livery and was not at all Victorian only to be accused of being a nerd and told just to enjoy the programme!!!
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 12:30 am   #296
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

It's artistic lie sense chaps. Unfortunately we can see what 99% of the population are blissfully unaware of and would prefer to ignore. The best example was the Beatles ad for the [recovered] single "All Those Years Ago" which had a "wrong date" radio" but looked absolutely right! I can't explain why or the difference That's why we are not Androids [I think] My daughter has a very accomplished friend who looked just the same as her at nine years of age and they were often assumed to be sisters. The friend was a mathematical prodigy but worked in Care Homes [aged 15] and has now qualified as a Doctor [that's not very common]. My artistic daughter only felt inadequate once by comparison but I pointed out that when we took her friend to see Great Expectations at the local theatre, not only was she unable to suspend disbelief [somewhat essential during a play] she couldn't deal with a "Young" Pip stage left and an "Older" Pip stage right, at the same time... all of which my daughter took in her stride. Really obvious blunders in a specific Documentary might be another matter I agree. Some of the new information "buried" in Ch5's new Eygptian series on Sunday nights [for example] is very interesting but the presentation there is awkward and awful.

Dave W
dave walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 8:26 am   #297
Mike-repairman
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
I have just seen a recording of Victoria and commented to my wife that the loco was in BR livery and was not at all Victorian only to be accused of being a nerd and told just to enjoy the programme!!!
I get called that too; usually keep it to myself now.
Mike-repairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Apr 2019, 9:27 am   #298
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

I saw the film "Red Joan" yesterday. It relates to a woman who gave British secrets on the making of the atomic bomb to the Russians, but was eventually found out when she was in her eighties.

There were a couple of scenes that struck me as being a little inaccurate. One was set in a physics lab at Cambridge University, where the woman in question was studying. She was using an enormous soldering iron to do some work on a Wheatstone bridge and was wearing welding goggles for some reason.

In another scene, she walks into an office where an important chap (subsequently to become her husband, I think) is sitting at a desk with a blackboard behind him. On the blackboard is a feasible-looking diagram of a triode valve circuit. What surprised me was that a cathode bypass capacitor was labelled in nF. This was before WW2 started and I recall capacitors only being labelled with pF or uF up to the sixties and possibly later.

Colin.
ColinTheAmpMan1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Apr 2019, 11:59 am   #299
mole42uk
Nonode

Strangely, I noticed both those! Did you also see that the Solon iron had a badly frayed mains cable?

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
mole42uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Apr 2019, 12:16 pm   #300
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

No, I didn't. But I couldn't help feeling that it would have been odd for an undergraduate to be doing any repairs on a Wheatstone bridge - what are technicians for? And what repairs might necessitate a huge soldering-iron (with a frayed cable)?

I'm pretty sure that those with more acute vision (and the ability to stop-frame) will be able to identify some of the chunks of electrical gear piled up at Cambridge and Montreal Universities and other establishments that "Joan Smith" (the secrets-distributor) worked at.

It was interesting that she suggested centrifuging gaseous compounds of uranium to separate the isotopes. I also noticed some mention of heavy water from one of the boffins in Canada. Wasn't that Heisenberg's abortive route to an atom bomb?

I did look out for incongruous and anachronistic TV antennae and the like, with no success. Surprisingly, there were no oscilloscopes in evidence, though they are usually "go-to" props for any science laboratory.

Colin.
ColinTheAmpMan1 is online now   Reply With Quote