UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jun 2021, 7:10 pm   #1
Bilhari
Diode

Default Ferranti Synchronous bakelite clock

Hi I'm after some advice please: Just fell in love with and bought this little Ferranti Bakelite clock, would anyone know which year it was made please? Also how do I safely clean the bakelite? I really don't want to damage it. Thanks
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ferranti clock.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	235532
Old 6th Jun 2021, 10:18 pm   #2
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Default Re: Ferranti Synchronous bakelite clock

Hi,

I can see why you fell in love with it! I’m not sure how old it is, possibly 30’s or 40’s, I’m probably wrong though. For cleaning Bakelite Brasso is quite good, particularly if it’s only lightly dirty, just don’t try polishing the chrome bit with it, as it’ll probably strip it back to brass! For more deep cleaning and polishing up dull Bakelite there is something called Greygate Paste Polishing no.5, and was available on eBay last time I bought some, it’s a bit more abrasive than Brasso, but very good. Also T-Cut is good for cleaning and polishing Bakelite, just a bit more messy. Others have good results just stripping out the electrics and washing the empty case in the sink, but I always find doing that strips the glossy layer off and then it’s a devil of a job polishing it again.

Regards
Lloyd
Closed Thread