UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Mar 2023, 5:53 pm   #1
prajan
Pentode

Default Citizen wall clock

Dear friends
I am having a citizen wall clock. The clock is working correctly and the day/ date is also working correctly. But I am unable to adjust the strike rate. It is 6 hrs behind. It means the clock strikes 6 times when the time is 12 ‘o clock. It also has a feature of adjusting the time for which the clock striking can be turned Off during night time but this also I do not know how to adjust?
If some body can help me I shall be very grateful. I am attaching the photos of the clock. In case somebody has the operating manual that also will be fine.
Best regards
P. Rajan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FDFB1B72-380E-45AA-99E2-4293E793EDDD.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	275947   Click image for larger version

Name:	775334C3-4034-4DF0-BE60-3EB5C1A7930A.jpeg
Views:	125
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	275948   Click image for larger version

Name:	A3913FD7-94C9-4135-8E03-A7ABE34006D7.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	275949   Click image for larger version

Name:	0BC9CBF9-2F08-4AA1-AC45-DC33A2610C00.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	275950  
Old 28th Mar 2023, 9:29 pm   #2
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Re: Citizen wall clock

I suspect the hands have just slipped around and got out of sync with the movement, so need a little push until they line up!
Old 29th Mar 2023, 12:38 pm   #3
prajan
Pentode

Dear mr McMurdo
The hands are not slipping because the the clock shows correct time always. Also the Day/date feature is working correctly. In a normal clock there is a push button for the no of strike setting. Each time you press the no of strike increases and you have to keep on pressing till you reach the correct strike no as per the time. But in this clock it is not like this. This is I am unable to set the correct strike no? Also the setting for the clock to switch off the strike function during night. If I change the time by changing the position of the needles with respect to the strike No. then the day/date function setting will be disturbed.

Regards
P.Rajan
Old 29th Mar 2023, 12:56 pm   #4
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I am guessing that the striking electronics is the separate box at the bottom of the clock wth the AA cells in it.

There don't seem to be enough wires between it and the clock movement to specify the current hour. So I am going to guess it behaves like a mechanical countwheel clock and simply strikes the hours in sequec 1-12 no matter where the hands actually are on the dial.

It _may_ resynchronise at 12:00, have you let it run through a day to see what happens?

I notice that there are buttons 'AM' and 'PM' on the striking unit, they seem to be labelled together 'count set. Do you press them both together to set up the striking?
Old 29th Mar 2023, 1:11 pm   #5
lightning
Heptode

He doesn't mean the hands have actually slipped, more that someone has likely pushed them around so it's out of sync with the chimes.
Old 29th Mar 2023, 1:52 pm   #6
Station X

I thought that, but the OP says that the day/date function works correctly which I assume means the date changes at midnight. Move the hands and it'll changeover at the wrong time.

There's obviously some gearing so that the date/time changes every 24 hours and not every 12.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 29th Mar 2023, 5:08 pm   #7
prajan
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
I am guessing that the striking electronics is the separate box at the bottom of the clock wth the AA cells in it.

There don't seem to be enough wires between it and the clock movement to specify the current hour. So I am going to guess it behaves like a mechanical countwheel clock and simply strikes the hours in sequec 1-12 no matter where the hands actually are on the dial.

It _may_ resynchronise at 12:00, have you let it run through a day to see what happens?

I notice that there are buttons 'AM' and 'PM' on the striking unit, they seem to be labelled together 'count set. Do you press them both together to set up the striking?
Dear mr tony

There are two wires which get connected from the black electronic box to the clock so it is not just a counter. Also along with the strike a musical tune is also there. 1/4 of the music comes every 15 min. 1/2 music comes at 30min and 3/4 music comes at 45min. The full music comes when the needle comes to 12 position followed by the strike. The music comes correctly but the no of strike is wrong. Also since the AM / PM setting is not correct an I do not know how to adjust when the music and the strike becomes OFF ( night adj) I do not know? I have tried with AM/ PM buttons but it does not work correctly.
Regards
P.Rajan
Old 29th Mar 2023, 5:10 pm   #8
prajan
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
I thought that, but the OP says that the day/date function works correctly which I assume means the date changes at midnight. Move the hands and it'll changeover at the wrong time.

There's obviously some gearing so that the date/time changes every 24 hours and not every 12.
The day/date is a geared mechanism and changes exactly at 12 night. It has nothing to do with the electronics.
Regards
P.rajan
Old 29th Mar 2023, 7:41 pm   #9
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

Surely the answer is simple. pull off both hands. Wait until it strikes midday (or midnight), and push the hands back on, both over the 12 mark.
Or have I missed something?
Les.
Old 29th Mar 2023, 8:54 pm   #10
Station X

That'll make the day/date changeover at the wrong time. As I understand it the date/day/hours/minutes/seconds part is all mechanical, but the chime is electronic and needs to be synchronised to the mechanical part.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread