UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 17th Mar 2023, 4:37 pm   #1
stacman
Hexode

Default Radio, Record player, Cassette deck

Spotted at flea market in Sheffield, radio, record player and a cassette deck, couldn't see the model of the radio, but suspect it will be identified on here, record player had a failed PAT test sticker on it, but looked tidy, Cassette deck isn't a model I can recall but looked a bit sorry, interesting though, not been in that flea market before despite passing quite regular on way home from work, will call in again though as there were records, tapes and CD's that I might have a peruse at, a little other bits of hi-fi too,
Regards, Alan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230316_152356257_HDR.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	275191   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230316_152342006_HDR.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	275192   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230316_152310897_HDR.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	275193  
Old 17th Mar 2023, 5:34 pm   #2
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: Radio, Record player, Cassette deck

The radio is a Ferranti 125:

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/ferranti_125.html

and the cassette deck isn't one I've seen around, but from near its far left corner it's a Wollensak - not a brand I've ever met in the UK. Looks like model 4766, there are a few photos online.

Paul

Last edited by Paul_RK; 17th Mar 2023 at 5:39 pm.
Old 17th Mar 2023, 6:10 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Record player looks like a Dansette Prince or the Murphy equivalent.

Great performers with a decent Goodmans speaker and Garrard deck.
Old 17th Mar 2023, 6:14 pm   #4
williamsunique
Tetrode

The Record Player. It looks like the mains lead is frayed. The cartridge also seems to be missing. These had an optional add on amplifier speaker, which plugged into the stereo DIN socket. They were solid state. HMV, Ultra, Ferguson, Alba? Marconiphone had similar models. They did what they were supposed to do, but weren't particularly good especially compared to the Hacker models of the same period. The potentiometers volume etc. always gave trouble.

Paul.
Old 17th Mar 2023, 6:32 pm   #5
Radio Wrangler

Wollensak are the makers of excellent cassette tape mechanisms. They are used in the NEAL Audio professional recorders which have been standard equipment in almost all police stations for many years. Well known to be tough and reliable. I've never come across an entire recorder by Wollensak.

David
Old 17th Mar 2023, 6:41 pm   #6
paulsherwin

The original Wollensak company apparently died in 1972 - no idea who owns the brand now. I've never seen it used on consumer electronics in Britain, so that cassette deck may be a private import. It's a shame it's not in better condition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wollensak
Old 18th Mar 2023, 12:02 am   #7
peterpixel
Pentode

Wollensak were known as cassette machine manufacturers which included high speed copiers for bulk supplies for talking books etc and also machines for audio tape/slide purposes. They were very well made and reliable. I think they were Canadian. I have a Wollensak boxfile somewhere which contains some circuits or even manuals saved from the time when I worked as service manager for a UK distributor. Peter.
Closed Thread