UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Mar 2023, 6:48 pm   #1
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default AT&T Archives: Telstar!

Fascinating to see this bit of history; the UK end of the Telstar transatlantic link was Goonhilly Downs in Cornwall.

https://youtu.be/uKH-GijnAGk

The whole YouTube AT&T Archive series is fascinating... you can lose half a day watching videos of how AT&T developed the transistor, trans-USA coaxial-cable telephone transmission, or the radars for the DEW line.

Last edited by G6Tanuki; 21st Mar 2023 at 6:53 pm.
Old 21st Mar 2023, 9:34 pm   #2
m0cemdave
Octode

Default Re: AT&T Archives: Telstar!

I can remember watching the first live TV link via Telstar one evening in the early 60's. It was a real mess because all that could be seen was snow on the screen with occasional bits of picture fading in and out. I think Raymond Baxter was the commentator, and he had to flannel as best he could.

The event had been heavily promoted as a showcase of British technology, and was regarded as a great embarrassment.

Subsequently it turned out that the UK receiving station had got the circular polarisation backwards (corrected the next day). But what upset the pundits of the time most of all was the fact the the French TV service - yes, THE FRENCH ! - had got theirs correct and had received excellent pictures...
Closed Thread