UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Sep 2021, 11:23 am   #21
peter_sol
Octode

Default Re: Homebrew guitar amp, speaker mismatch

People are getting muddled with series and parallel.
Wire the bass speaker directly to the amp and the tweeter (with its cap in series with it) across the bass speaker. Maintain polarity.
Old 2nd Sep 2021, 2:04 pm   #22
sirdavy
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_sol View Post
People are getting muddled with series and parallel.
Wire the bass speaker directly to the amp and the tweeter (with its cap in series with it) across the bass speaker. Maintain polarity.
Capacitor aside, isn't what you are describing 'Speakers Wired In Parallel'?

I was speculating whether it might be possible to have the woofer and tweeter in series but the inclusion of a capacitor somewhere in the wiring to protect the tweeter. Is that possible? I'm out of my depth really.
Old 2nd Sep 2021, 4:47 pm   #23
G.Castle
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdavy View Post
I was speculating whether it might be possible to have the woofer and tweeter in series but the inclusion of a capacitor somewhere in the wiring to protect the tweeter. Is that possible? I'm out of my depth really.
To do that you would need an inductance across the tweeter, it wouldn't help what you're trying to achieve with the impedance.

You say you're not worried about the efficiency, so why not just put the extra 8-10 ohms in series with the speaker as was suggested to you before? If you want a little more top end to the sound you could put a non polarized capacitor of up to a few microfarads across that resistor.
Old 2nd Sep 2021, 5:05 pm   #24
sirdavy
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Castle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdavy View Post
To do that you would need an inductance across the tweeter, it wouldn't help what you're trying to achieve with the impedance.

You say you're not worried about the efficiency, so why not just put the extra 8-10 ohms in series with the speaker as was suggested to you before? If you want a little more top end to the sound you could put a non polarized capacitor of up to a few microfarads across that resistor.
Yes, reckon I will do exactly that. I've got an L-pad on its way and I'm going to put a cap on that to let through some of the higher end. I'm guessing I would need to repeat the same value cap across the resistors too?
Old 2nd Sep 2021, 5:34 pm   #25
G.Castle
Heptode

Doing that you may as well go straight across with one cap.
Old 2nd Sep 2021, 5:44 pm   #26
sirdavy
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Castle View Post
Doing that you may as well go straight across with one cap.
Thanks! What would a good value cap be? On a guitar amp attenuator I put together I used a 6.8uf capacitor on a switch to make the sound brighter at lower volumes. Would the same value work here?
Old 2nd Sep 2021, 5:52 pm   #27
G.Castle
Heptode

Personal taste can't be analysed, it can't hurt so try it! The higher the value the lower frequencies then start getting through it would be a good place to start.
Old 2nd Sep 2021, 9:44 pm   #28
sirdavy
Triode

Great. Thank you, G.Castle.
Closed Thread