UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Feb 2020, 9:17 pm   #21
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Scrap or Save?

I tend to look at it from the perspective of "Would I choose to rent a paid-by-the-month storage facility to store this bunch of spares for something that was never really that good in the first place? And if I did, will the stored-things appreciate in value faster than the storage-charges?"

If the answer to either question is a no, or even a 'maybe' then it gets lobbed in the wheelie-bin and goes to landfill.

Store 'junk' if you want, but when you next come to move house you'll undoubtedly be paying to hire a skip.
Old 18th Feb 2020, 3:34 am   #22
Maarten
Dekatron

That's why the alternative of a central depot was discussed in the Dutch discussion. Even there, those economic choices need to be made.
Old 20th Feb 2020, 1:48 pm   #23
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

It's just possible that someone in the not too distant future might become interested in the stuff where the "bean counters" were given full rein over the item's design and production. This unit ( I have worked on them in the distant past, and was glad they ceased to be made) would be an ideal example of that genré.
Preserving the top specification versions of every item is ok, but sometimes it's interesting to see, however unpleasantly to the engineers eye, how corners were cut to render an item affordable to the less well-off. Tony.
Old 20th Feb 2020, 5:30 pm   #24
TonyDuell
Dekatron

My experience is that the desirabilty of something to a collector has little to do with its quality. When I started collecting computers I was interested in what were (for their time) reasonably high quality machines, PDP11s, PERQ workstations, etc. I didn't bother with the Spectrum or the BBC micro or... and later I had to spend more to get one of those machines than I spent on the PERQ....

But then look at how many people want Spectrums and Beebs, and how few want PERQs.

And need I say 'Dansette'....

So while high-end tape recorders of the Revox/Ferrograph etc class will always be interesting to serious enthusiasts, I suspect the cheaper 'home tape recorders' -- the lower-end Philips and Grundig models, the machine discussed here, etc will have interest to people who remember such machines from their earlier days.
Old 20th Feb 2020, 6:08 pm   #25
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
the Spectrum or the BBC micro or... and later I had to spend more to get one of those machines than I spent on the PERQ....
A good example of this is how much more valued the ZX80 is than the ZX81 - earlier, inferior machine but not made in anything like the same numbers - result - a nice ZX80 is much more valuable than an equivalent ZX81.
Old 20th Feb 2020, 7:41 pm   #26
Maarten
Dekatron

Different collectors collect for different reasons.
Closed Thread