UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Old 8th Apr 2024, 8:27 am   #1
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Default FM Station Closures

WE already have a couple of threads recording AM radio closures but I could not find one for FM stations.
Please close if not appropriate.

Wave 105.2 stopped transmitting on the 28th March after 25 years

https://sussex.news/sussex/wave-good...-sunset/22302/

This covered the South coast.

Peter
Electronpusher0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2024, 10:54 am   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: FM Station Closures

Looks like it has been borged by one of the three big UK-wide radio companies. Will probably continue as part of the Greatest Hits Radio, Bauer or suchlike 'symbol-groups', the equivalent of Londis, Spar etc in the convenience-store business.
Old 8th Apr 2024, 11:03 am   #3
Station X

So it's not a transmitter closure then?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Station X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2024, 11:20 am   #4
paulsherwin

It may have gone off air for a transitional period. Bauer bought lots of secondary local stations a couple of years ago and has been adding them to the Greatest Hits Radio pseudo-national network. Oxford's two Jack FM stations went to GHR last year.
paulsherwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2024, 1:16 pm   #5
Beobloke
Heptode

Wave 105 has become Greatest Hits Radio on the South Coast. Some of the old presenters are still staying on - Rick Jackson is still doing the breakfast show, for example.

Bit of a shame as Wave 105 was pretty good, as local stations go. I still miss Jack FM down here, though!
Beobloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2024, 1:54 pm   #6
Valvepower
Octode

Hello,

This thread kind a' bookends my recent thread regards VHF/FM being used in the early days of North European offshore pirate radio

Terry
Valvepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2024, 3:38 pm   #7
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
It may have gone off air for a transitional period. Bauer bought lots of secondary local stations a couple of years ago and has been adding them to the Greatest Hits Radio pseudo-national network. Oxford's two Jack FM stations went to GHR last year.
That's what happened the Eagle in the Surrey/Guildford area. It was re-branded and became GHR in September 2020.
Old 9th Apr 2024, 7:57 am   #8
Electronpusher0
Nonode

I hadn't realised that Wave would continue transmitting as GHR, it wasn't clear from the article I found, a loss of local diversity then rather than a transmitter closure.

Peter
Electronpusher0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Apr 2024, 11:11 am   #9
paulsherwin

Yes, Ofcom have allowed local commercial radio to largely die out over the last 20 years. The operaters are still required to produce some vaguely regionalised programming (hence GHR South Coast not GHR) but it's really just a token gesture. These are national branded networks in all but name.
Old 9th Apr 2024, 11:31 am   #10
Spec-chum
Tetrode

Our local Lincs FM is now DAB only, the FM transmitters are for Greatest Hits Radio like others have gone.

Just an edit to say Capitol seem to be worst here for buying up the smaller stations. You can tune across the FM band and all you hear is the same station. A bit sad because we loose variety of what to listen to.

Last edited by Spec-chum; 9th Apr 2024 at 11:37 am.
Spec-chum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Apr 2024, 1:01 pm   #11
Beobloke
Heptode

Quote:
Yes, Ofcom have allowed local commercial radio to largely die out over the last 20 years. The operaters are still required to produce some vaguely regionalised programming (hence GHR South Coast not GHR) but it's really just a token gesture. These are national branded networks in all but name.
I never imagined that 'Radio Active' from the 1980s would have predicted it so well:

"Coming to you locally wherever you are in the nation; this is Britain's first national, local radio station"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_...(radio_series)
Beobloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Apr 2024, 1:20 pm   #12
Radio Wrangler

That URL just points to a wikipedia announcement that wikipedia does not have such a page Very appropriate to the sense of humour of that series. I fully enjoyed it.

David
Old 9th Apr 2024, 1:58 pm   #13
paulsherwin

It's because the forum software doesn't parse URLs with closing brackets correctly. I've fixed it.
Old 9th Apr 2024, 6:33 pm   #14
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
GHR South Wales has a supposedly local afternoon show presenter, and also has some local news, weather and travel etc (plus of course local adverts) but the rest is just GHR.

It is currently DAB only, no local FM stations lost as of now. I bet they have their eyes on Nation Broadcasting though.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Paul Stenning is offline   Reply With Quote