UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Dec 2021, 11:35 am   #21
dragonser
Heptode

Default Re: Found pictures of my old shop

Hi,
these photos are most interesting thank you. I wish I had taken a photo of a local TV repair shop in Carshalton that closed down in 2000 or so...
Old 4th Dec 2021, 3:06 pm   #22
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Another picture this time at the rear of my shop again taken in 1977 during the Queens Silver Jubilee surrounded by reconditioned models. The staircase on the right led to my workshop. J.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shop 2.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	247278  
Old 4th Dec 2021, 9:09 pm   #23
michamoo
Hexode

I remember once visiting your shop with a view to buying that old Ace radio (top shelf) from you but couldn't get you to part with it. I eventually found myself another though. Lovely old radio so can't blame you for wanting to keep it.
Old 5th Dec 2021, 10:38 am   #24
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I don't recall that MM. Which top shelf? I can't see and don't remember having an ACE radio. Anyway, glad you found one.

Another picture from 1977 with four on a scooter and my old MGB parked outside! I wonder where those young kids are now?

It was a long time ago. Life is indeed short. If only I had known at 18.. John.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Scooter.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	247307  
Old 5th Dec 2021, 1:30 pm   #25
nigelr2000
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
I don't recall that MM. Which top shelf? I can't see and don't remember having an ACE radio. Anyway, glad you found one.

Another picture from 1977 with four on a scooter and my old MGB parked outside! I wonder where those young kids are now?

It was a long time ago. Life is indeed short. If only I had known at 18.. John.
He meant my shop John, I ended up with 2 aces in the end but sold the lot off via the usual auction site as I had nowhere to keep it all when the shop went
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image_20211127_0004 (2).jpg
Views:	215
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	247318  

Last edited by nigelr2000; 5th Dec 2021 at 1:33 pm. Reason: Add picture
Old 5th Dec 2021, 11:18 pm   #26
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Thanks for solving the mystery! My dear old Mum rarely complained about my of junk [and it was considerable] but complained that 'everything is so large and heavy'.
I always remember I had placed about five large useless valves on the tall mantelpiece in the kitchen. I forgot about them and seeing them one day cleared them into the bin right in front of her. 'I have been dusting them carefully thinking you wanted them'. Oh dear.. John.
Old 6th Dec 2021, 9:44 am   #27
raditechman
Heptode

As Andrew 2 likes photos of old TV shops.
Long before 1986 when I had the shop in Wandsworth pictured in an earlier post, in my schoolboy days this was my local shop for goodies. They had a Mullard valve tester and a workshop at the back and would sell me valves and components as they knew I was keen on radio.
My parents bought a Pye V4 there and I got my first Roberts R200 from them.
The photo taken late 1950's and the shop was in Twickenham. I took it with a camera that used size 127 film.

John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FR Butcher 4.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	247365  
Old 6th Dec 2021, 11:09 am   #28
lesmw0sec
Octode

Herewith my humble submissions, The first was taken by the Mullard photographer for a piece in 'Outlook', circa 1960. The shop is Studland Radio in Dorset, run by a Mr. L.L. Watmore and where I completed an apprenticeship.
The second (now with beard) some years on, as Ch. Engineer of MTE electronics, Brisbane.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bk052.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	247366   Click image for larger version

Name:	bk039.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	247367  
Old 10th Dec 2021, 11:28 am   #29
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I discovered this picture of Colliers Wood High St. taken around 1910. My shop was situated between the Victory and the house where the overhead light 'CAFE' can be seen. The angle makes it difficult to see my shop 200/200A High Street. 200A, the so called cafe was later incorporated into the two buildings after having been closed since WW2. John.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1910.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	247581  
Old 10th Dec 2021, 11:39 am   #30
Andrew2
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by raditechman View Post
Long before 1986 when I had the shop in Wandsworth pictured in an earlier post, in my schoolboy days this was my local shop for goodies. They had a Mullard valve tester and a workshop at the back and would sell me valves and components as they knew I was keen on radio.
The photo taken late 1950's and the shop was in Twickenham. I took it with a camera that used size 127 film.

John
Thanks John. That photo shows the griminess of 50's Britain, although it all seemed quite normal to a young lad (6 years old in 1959) at the time.
Old 10th Dec 2021, 11:39 am   #31
Restoration73
Nonode

Here's me in Watts Radio, Kingston on Thames, March 1978.
Note the large row of valves, lamps, batteries, and cables.
Heating was lamentable so I am keeping my jacket on.
The then owner refused to have a chair for older customers because
"he didn't want them dying on the premises"
We did 9 to 5 Monday to Saturday (closed Wednesday)
Christmas Eve 1979 we took £3k when we cashed up - incredible then.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tony1978-remastered.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	247589  
Old 10th Dec 2021, 3:40 pm   #32
electronicskip
Nonode

Not my shop of course but i worked here for a number of years .
Rumbelows Gloucester re 1983ish i believe, had many happy times here selling everything from curling tongs to video cameras!!
Happy days for sure , i probably worked in about 15 different branches over the years .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hpic1.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	247603  
Old 11th Dec 2021, 11:39 am   #33
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by raditechman View Post

John
I knew that shop in the 1970s, by which time it looked a lot brighter - smokeless zones and a lick of paint had evidently improved matters considerably. The guy running it used to do recordings of the local amateur symphony orchestra at my school and I got under his feet on occasion. Business can't have been that bad - he used a Revox, a Ferrograph 7, Calrec mics and a little Stellavox mixer which must have cost as much as the rest of the kit put together. Alas, the shop closed down some time in the late 70s, if memory serves - I bought a Decca C4E at a knockdown price in the clearout.
Old 11th Dec 2021, 1:12 pm   #34
Peter.N.
Dekatron

That takes me back. I still have my workshop at home where I worked from 1970 to when I retired in 2004 and it contains things like a colour bar generator and an EHT meter plus my home made CRT reactivator.

I had a shop in Sevenoaks for a while in the '60s used to rent and sell refurbished TV's, 17" rental 4/9d per week. My fish and chips at lunchtime was 2/- just down the road.

I worked at the local TV shop in Petts Wood in the '50s looked a lot like that one. used to be a cycle and radio shop, had a sign 'Accumulators Charged' over the window, that was on of my jobs.

Peter
Old 11th Dec 2021, 1:42 pm   #35
Nuvistor
Dekatron

This picture was taken between 1972 and 1978, a walking day or parade in Wigan. The shop Sheargolds (TV) was were I worked, really good boss who owned the business. Agents for Pye,Ekco, RBM, Toshiba, Hitachi, Hacker, Roberts and as on the sign Dynatron. I think we got some money towards the sign from Dynatron hence its large letters.
We moved there from Standishgate in 1972, business sold in 1978 and I moved with the new owner to Mesnes Street until I left the trade in around 1980.
The bosses sister had an Antique shop in the town also named Sheargolds so the (TV) on the sign was to keep the business separate.

Next door Battye gents outfitters and JJB Sports on the other side. Other shops in the distance but forget their names. Queens hall church at the top left. All building still there under different uses.

Sheargolds was an old Wigan company founded in the 1870’s, sold music, pianos etc, moved to gramophone records and gramophones, then radios and eventually TV’s. My boss started with the firm in the 1920’s, after his stint in the RAF WW2 the business was split and he took the radio/TV, the other was now antiques. The original building in Standishgate was demolished and the new build was C&A’s now Primark, the TV shop moved across the road and Antques moved up Wigan Lane.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E9162F82-B8B7-416E-9A5E-E5117CED54C1.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	247648  
Old 11th Dec 2021, 1:45 pm   #36
Vintage Engr
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restoration73 View Post
Here's me in Watts Radio, Kingston on Thames, March 1978.
Note the large row of valves, lamps, batteries, and cables.
Heating was lamentable so I am keeping my jacket on.
The then owner refused to have a chair for older customers because
"he didn't want them dying on the premises"
We did 9 to 5 Monday to Saturday (closed Wednesday)
Christmas Eve 1979 we took £3k when we cashed up - incredible then.
Watts Radio,

That brings back a lot of memories, and money spent!
In the early '70's I was working for Rediffusion in Surbiton, so it was a short journey over to Watts Radio.

David.
Old 11th Dec 2021, 2:04 pm   #37
Restoration73
Nonode

I didn't move to this area until 1975. It was my second job, I worked before that for
Modern Electrics, Surbiton. It was a small Roberts and Decca dealer.

When I joined Watts I was given the option to do the repairs for a 15% fee to the shop.
Plenty of repairs done evenings and weekends at the home "workshop".
Old 11th Dec 2021, 11:42 pm   #38
Richard_FM
Octode

My old Boss once told us that his Grandfather was an ironmonger who started to repair radios in the 1920s - 30s. After the war his Father was now part of the firm & started to rent out & repair TVs.

With the money from this my Boss managed to get through law school & set up his own solicitors.

I'm not sure what happened to the business, but their name was Garsden & was probably based in the Cheadle area.
Old 30th Dec 2021, 9:53 pm   #39
ms660
Dekatron

Progress House, Cecil Road, Hale, Cheshire, some years later and still intact, not a lot's changed except for the occupiers and type of business, back in the day it was HQ for White & Swales who I worked for for a number of years which was a reasonable sized outfit back then, the ground floor front was reception, the flat roof buildings to the left were for new stock deliveries and the garage, the garage employed two full time mechanics to service the firms fleet of vehicles, the R&TV workshop was out the back, upstairs above reception was the boss's offices Noel White and Peter J Swales (He of Altrincham FC and Man. City fame) I used to have to go to the shops to buy P.J. some cigarettes if he had ran out...Players Weights, when we all used to pile into his office at pay negotiation time he would hand out the Players Weights...."Thanks Mr. Swales they're very nice".....Cough, splutter etc:

https://goo.gl/maps/qtDDNhS1WXZ5MJQt8

https://staging.bpsfamilylaw.co.uk/bps-family-law-hale/

Further on back behind Progress House was the Hale branch shop on Ashley Road, there's an old advert in the link below, no prizes for guessing who they were main agents for, we were took over by Thorn when I worked there, lot's of 800, 850, 900, 950, 1400, 2000 etc chassis and anything in between back then, I worked in the workshop and also did outside service, covering most areas at different times in South Manchester to Mid Cheshire, they were a good firm to work for.

Lawrence.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf white swales advert.pdf (415.9 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by ms660; 30th Dec 2021 at 10:17 pm. Reason: link added
Old 2nd Jan 2022, 11:49 am   #40
Nuvistor
Dekatron

After leaving the trade my office base for a computer company was in Cecil road Hale. Was there from early 80’s till late 90’s so your post brought back many memories.