UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jul 2020, 11:47 pm   #21
Skywave
Dekatron

Arrow Re: HP printer, LaserJet 4M

Ah, but that refers to 64-bit Windows 7; I'm using 32-bit.

Plus, in your post #20 you've made a quote by arjoll which I think you'll find was actually made by me!

Al.

Last edited by Skywave; 8th Jul 2020 at 11:54 pm.
Old 9th Jul 2020, 4:02 am   #22
arjoll
Nonode

Default Re: HP printer, LaserJet 4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywave View Post
The HPLJ version 4L uses Post Script, not PCL. Your LJ4 must have the appropriate hardware installed for PS.
No, the 4L was a low-end personal version with PCL. The 4ML was the PostScript version of the 4L.

Quote:
That is contrary to what I have experienced. Clicking the "Windows Update" button - as you have described - puts the PC into a "wait for ever" mode - and nothing happens.
It takes a while - took at least 5 minutes on my gigabit fibre connection. If you're on a slower ADSL or VDSL connection try clicking the button then going and having lunch!

Quote:
My VM is 32 bit Windows 7 - see attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-07-09 145958.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	210608  
Old 9th Jul 2020, 6:04 am   #23
yesnaby
Octode

Quote:

Plus, in your post #20 you've made a quote by arjoll which I think you'll find was actually made by me!

Al.
Sorry Al and arjoll: late-night inattention!
Old 9th Jul 2020, 12:56 pm   #24
Skywave
Dekatron

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesnaby View Post
Sorry Al and arjoll: late-night inattention!
No need to apologise to me: your error did not cause me a problem. My post was for 'information only' purposes. As for making such errors late at night, yes, I know: been there too often!

Al.

Last edited by Skywave; 9th Jul 2020 at 1:11 pm.
Old 9th Jul 2020, 1:01 pm   #25
Skywave
Dekatron

Quote:
Clicking the "Windows Update" button - as you have described - puts the PC into a "wait for ever" mode - and nothing happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjoll View Post
It takes a while - took at least 5 minutes on my gigabit fibre connection. If you're on a slower ADSL or VDSL connection, try clicking the button then going and having lunch!
Really? That long? VDSL in use here - clearly, I'll have to try again.
Thanks for your advice.

Al.
Old 9th Jul 2020, 1:09 pm   #26
Skywave
Dekatron

Quote:
The HPLJ version 4L uses Post Script, not PCL. Your LJ4 must have the appropriate hardware installed for PS.
Quote:
No, the 4L was a low-end personal version with PCL. The 4ML was the PostScript version of the 4L.
My comment was based on what I had discovered from reading various sources on the 'Net. But I know that your knowledge of HP kit is extensive: consequently, I stand corrected.

Al.
Old 9th Jul 2020, 10:33 pm   #27
arjoll
Nonode

Quote:
Really? That long? VDSL in use here - clearly, I'll have to try again.
Yes - there are a lot of drivers available in the update catalogue! Definitely worth waiting (and you can use your PC at the same time, the lunch thing was more so you don't do what I tend to do and keep checking "just in case."

Quote:
My comment was based on what I had discovered from reading various sources on the 'Net. But I know that your knowledge of HP kit is extensive: consequently, I stand corrected.
The general rule with the older HPs (basically II - 5) is that no letter = PCL, full size, P = personal, smaller printer with fewer tray options etc, L = personal, often top load paper, small footprint. An M with any of these means "Macintosh compatible" which for classic OS means PostScript. So you'll find a 4L or 4P driver will probably work with your 4 but miss some paper try and internal font options - the latter won't really be an issue as Windows won't be using printer internal fonts. Likewise the LaserJet III driver will also work, but send PCL5 not PCL5e.

Of course all of this is moot once you wait for Windows Update and get the proper driver
Old 10th Jul 2020, 1:00 pm   #28
Skywave
Dekatron

Quote:
Clicking the "Windows Update" button - as you have described - puts the PC into a "wait for ever" mode - and nothing happens.
Quote:
It takes a while - took at least 5 minutes on my gigabit fibre connection. If you're on a slower ADSL or VDSL connection try clicking the button then going and having lunch!
Yes - you're correct - of course.

I tried again - left it for 30 minutes and looked again. I found two entries labelled 'Hewlett Packard' and another entitled 'HP' (Hewlett Packard, I suppose! ) And the in the latter was the driver for the HPLJ4- which once downloaded and installed, made the printer work the way it should.

Aside.
I think I can understand why three entries were made: HP have made many, many printers bearing the prefix 'LaserJet'- but why one section is called 'HP', whereas the other two are labelled 'Hewlett Packard', I really have no idea - but not that that matters now, anyway.

Finally, thank you for your help with this: much appreciated.

Al.