UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Dec 2021, 1:47 pm   #41
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Rented storage facilities.

Another point to add, if you will be storing stuff in boxes stacked up, then plastic storage boxes with lids are a better option than cardboard boxes because they don't squash down and become unstable over time. Ideally stacks of the same type and size of plastic boxes with the heaviest at the bottom. Another advantage is that if the floor gets a bit wet they won't be damaged. Places like Home Bargains and B&M are a good source (though probably not this time of year).

Supermarket delivery crates are good too, if you can get hold of any.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 5th Dec 2021, 2:18 pm   #42
Refugee
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning View Post
Supermarket delivery crates are good too, if you can get hold of any.
If you ever spot one of those it is a keeper every time.
One without a supermarket name on it is good to put in the trolley when shopping. You can just lift it into the car while all the bag tax payers get there shopping rained on.
I have got a big batch of them that do not stack very well with supermarket ones. They came free many years ago but are still very useful.
Old 5th Dec 2021, 2:44 pm   #43
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

Quote:
I guess a good maxim is that if we haven't found a use for something in the last two years, and are unlikely to do so in the foreseeable future, it ought to go.
I'd agree with this. This system was used at work about 15 years ago and a lot of clutter in the engineering labs was disposed of and there were few if any regrets. I just wish I could put it into practice here at home even though I'm not at the overloaded stage of some members on here.

I just don't want the hassle of organising the sale/collection of the items or any subsequent feedback from the buyer if something isn't quite right with an item.
The stuff is way too good for the tip so I'm kind of stuck with it for now.
Old 5th Dec 2021, 2:58 pm   #44
broadgage
Nonode

Sale "as seen, condition unknown, no returns" may work.
Old 5th Dec 2021, 3:03 pm   #45
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0HZU_JMR View Post
Quote:
I guess a good maxim is that if we haven't found a use for something in the last two years, and are unlikely to do so in the foreseeable future, it ought to go.
I'd agree with this. This system was used at work about 15 years ago and a lot of clutter in the engineering labs was disposed of and there were few if any regrets. I just wish I could put it into practice here at home even though I'm not at the overloaded stage of some members on here.

I just don't want the hassle of organising the sale/collection of the items or any subsequent feedback from the buyer if something isn't quite right with an item.
The stuff is way too good for the tip so I'm kind of stuck with it for now.
For me, this is a mantra for unused spares, tools, repair items and the like, not for collectable stuff that is, if we're honest, simply not needed at all, but we choose to collect it because it makes us happy. They're different things. Most of my collection I haven't used for two years but I'm far from ready to get rid of it on that basis!

But regarding selling on, just remember to never oversell an item, always describe it as being slightly worse than it actually is eg for spares and repairs, not working, parts missing etc. You can hardly get come back if you do that.
Old 5th Dec 2021, 4:54 pm   #46
David Simpson
Nonode

Paul - 25 sq.ft for £120 per month ? That's 5' by 5' - - miniscule ! The old Berlingo van I used to have had more floor space. Surely you mean "25 feet square" ? I.e. 625 sq.ft. ? Plenty of space for tea chests, trunks, or stacks of B&Q large plastic storage boxes - full of vintage radio stuff.
Thumping big 2nd hand weatherproof shipping containers can be bought for 1 to 2 grand. But then we have a VMARS "Bagington" situation when a Magpie becomes a "silent key" !

Regards, David
Old 5th Dec 2021, 5:03 pm   #47
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Simpson View Post
Paul - 25 sq.ft for £120 per month ? That's 5' by 5' - - miniscule ! The old Berlingo van I used to have had more floor space. Surely you mean "25 feet square" ? I.e. 625 sq.ft. ? David
625 sq. ft. is at least a small industrial unit floor area.....

I got most of our possessions in a 5ftx5ftx8ft high storage unit, that was at what is now Daintons storage at Scorrier/Redruth.

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 5th Dec 2021 at 5:16 pm. Reason: word change
Old 5th Dec 2021, 5:18 pm   #48
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Yes it's about 5ft x 5ft x 8ft (probably nearer 4.5ft wide x 6ft deep actually) which is ample for my needs. It's surprising how much stuff can be packed and stacked in that space.

Costs will vary depending on location, and this is close to Cardiff city centre so it's not going to be cheap. When we get the annual price increase notification I get quotes from other nearby facilities and this is always the cheapest (albeit not by much), and the most convenient location for me (10 minutes walk from my home with a local Co-op on-route).

If I never accessed it for months on end then I could get something cheaper outside the city, but that wouldn't suit my needs.

Shipping containers are fine if you have somewhere to put them. In a city centre apartment with just a communal car park I don't.

Paul Stenning
Old 5th Dec 2021, 5:39 pm   #49
The Philpott
Dekatron

Regrettably it appears the only museum in the OP's area that might have accepted a long term loan of gear has long since closed (unless anyone knows different.)
Dave
Old 5th Dec 2021, 5:54 pm   #50
stevehertz
Dekatron

Personally I would only ever use paid storage facilities if I was moving house or needed short term storage for some reason. Ok, if I had the spare cash I'd perhaps store large, rarely used tools and the like there, but in terms of putting sets into storage, I just don't get it. If I can't enjoy them at home I don't see the point of keeping them in a lock up, I may as well sell them. But yes, we're all different, that being my view.
Old 6th Dec 2021, 12:30 am   #51
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Thanks for the amazing and different responses. Everyone is different. I have manuals and electronic stuff behind one of the sitting room chairs, stashed in the corner behind our main telly and some in the corner of the landing. Quite a modest pile and mostly out of sight. Over the last few years I have restrained myself from buying much either online or the few events that I attend to keep everyone happy. This has worked until recently.

Most of my working radios and the few TV’s are used and on a fairly regular basis the rest is waiting until I retire and have time to get them working for my own use and enjoyment.
My hope and dream is to have a reasonably sized workshop and space for larger televisions from the 1960’s onwards which I can repair/restore and use.
But I do except that I have a lot to think about and I thank everyone for all your thoughts.
Old 6th Dec 2021, 3:15 am   #52
majoconz
Heptode

Near to me, a church charity organisation every year has a "Yesterday's Treasures" sale cum auction. All the goods are donated and have a 'suggested' price and if the goods are still on still the floor at the start of the auction they of course go to the highest bidder. All electrical items have have a PAT test and appropriately stickered - a local church-going electrician volunteers his services free. I have rid myself of quite a few of my less desirable radios, all working of course, and surprisingly they often all get to be auctioned and go for a higher amount than the "floor" price. It's surprising how many young families like the older radios especially those with the FM band - I make sure that my offerings are all tuned to a local oldies station and many people remark on the sound quality - they must be used to the tinny transistor sound! SWMBO is pleased about the space in the book cabinet which she rapidly fills.....
Old 7th Dec 2021, 11:11 am   #53
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I spent all day yesterday, after moving the Christmas decorations down from the loft, moving stuff around in the loft and managed to squeeze what I had stored in the landing into the loft. It was hard work and am suffering with aches and pains today but it will make for a peaceful Christmas.
But I will need to look into a longer term solution in the New Year to move my equipment stored and hidden around the house and clear some some space so I can actually start doing some work in my small workshop. I will be taking a look at all your suggestions on this post after the holidays.

The biggest box that I had to deal with was loads of original TV/Radio and Audio manuals from the likes of Hitachi, Pye/Philips and RBM all dating from the 1970's and 1980's. I think I rescued these from a friend who had a long established TV/Radio business in Bath who retired about 15 years ago. So I plan to go through these in the new year and index them all.

Last edited by Hybrid tellies; 7th Dec 2021 at 11:14 am. Reason: Grammar and spelling corrections
Old 7th Dec 2021, 12:02 pm   #54
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid tellies View Post
I spent all day yesterday, after moving the Christmas decorations down from the loft, moving stuff around in the loft and managed to squeeze what I had stored in the landing into the loft. It was hard work and am suffering with aches and pains today but it will make for a peaceful Christmas.
But I will need to look into a longer term solution in the New Year to move my equipment stored and hidden around the house and clear some some space so I can actually start doing some work in my small workshop. I will be taking a look at all your suggestions on this post after the holidays.

The biggest box that I had to deal with was loads of original TV/Radio and Audio manuals from the likes of Hitachi, Pye/Philips and RBM all dating from the 1970's and 1980's. I think I rescued these from a friend who had a long established TV/Radio business in Bath who retired about 15 years ago. So I plan to go through these in the new year and index them all.
Well done, you've made a good start. On the subject of bulky service data. I sold my bulky, near full set of Trader sheets and replaced it with a BVWS DVD containing the same in the palm of your hand. IF your collection of data is available online or whatever, even if it's a few quid a go, it's worth getting rid of it in that bulky hard copy form. Just a thought.
Old 7th Dec 2021, 12:33 pm   #55
newlite4
Octode

Regards the manuals Simon, I would be inclined to just save the useful circuit diagrams within them and put the remainder out for recycling. I have done this at work in the past, it saves a lot of space, especially as the chances of encountering those specific sets is remote.
Neil
Old 7th Dec 2021, 1:14 pm   #56
M0TGX Terry
Hexode

Reading this thread has brought to my attention the fact that I have loads of stuff which is really just junk, and some stuff which probably has some value to someone. Judging by the costs being quoted for commercial storage, I now realise that my available storage space ( a timber cabin approx 13 feet by 13 feet, insulated and with power and light) is worth a considerable amount more than the stuff stored in it! I shall have a go in the new year at sorting out the stuff in there, and I might get around to listing it for disposal on the forum. Someone must want a WS 17, a couple of WS 19s, an AR88LF and goodness knows what else. I'm never going to get round to doing anything with it all - I can't even lift some of it! As the years progress, there comes a time when we just have to say "Time for disposal" and bite the bullet. None of it, in my opinion, is worth causing domestic strife over, and in most cases, the kids will bin it all eventually, anyway. Imagine the joy of being able to walk across a room, or your shed and not have to sidestep your way through piles of stuff.
Old 7th Dec 2021, 1:33 pm   #57
stevehertz
Dekatron

You're there..
Old 7th Dec 2021, 1:36 pm   #58
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid tellies View Post
Please let me know if there are any for disposal as I may well be interested in taking them for scanning for a future DVD-ROM (and would then recycle the originals). I can collect from Bristol area or at Retrotech.

You would get a free PDF/DVD-ROM copy of everything in return, of course.

Paul Stenning
Old 7th Dec 2021, 9:19 pm   #59
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

When I moved here 26 years ago, I bought large quantities of manuals. Many for radios, also TVs and CD player stuff. I had them in two compartment banana boxes and there were two piles as high as the ceiling. Eventually I saw sense, and now have Grundig, NordMende, Telequipment and Terktronix and not much else. Had i done that whilst still in Staffordshire, I had a useless French woodburning cooker which could only be kept in and under control at night by feeding it a large densely packed pile of newspapers. I never considered the manuals at that time.
Paul, I do have a spare full set of Grundig Microfiche. Any use? No valved stuff in there.
Les.
Old 8th Dec 2021, 9:50 am   #60
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

I have a project to clear the lock up. As many have said, adding up the total cost over the years I've had mine far exceeds, probably by orders of magnitude, the value of what is in there. The other point is that anything that is in there has not been used. A bit like any electrical good that goes in a kitchen cupboard never gets used.

Important and useful stuff will move back to chez nous, useless stuff to anyone will be skipped, and the rest will be disposed of, probably to this list for a nominal sum or FOC on the understanding that it is collected.

Craig