UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Dec 2021, 12:04 pm   #1
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.
Default Rented storage facilities.

I apologise if this is an unsuitable subject for this topic or this forum. Moderators please remove if this is the case.

I am facing a bit of a crisis at home. My wife says that most of my collection must go or be sold and does not want me to pay for storage as she thinks its all useless junk.

I obviously disagree and have started to look into storage options.
As this is new to me I have received quotes for 25 square feet of secure dry self storage space is around £25 a week. Is this reasonable? and what are your experiences of storing your prize and valued collection.

Many thanks

Simon.
Old 3rd Dec 2021, 12:21 pm   #2
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Default Re: General enquiry. General Enquiry

I use these http://www.theselfstorageco.co.uk/pr...20storage.html . I have a 50 square feet storage. That is £94 a month or £23.50 a week.

The comparable 25 square feet works out at £16.88 a week.

So £25 a week looks pricey to me for 25 square feet. Shop arounds.

Craig
Old 3rd Dec 2021, 12:28 pm   #3
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Re: General enquiry. General Enquiry

Suggest obtaining prices from several places, Big Yellow Storage is one that comes to mind but their competitors pop up everywhere and it's quite a competitive market. (oh-looks like you already have more than one quote)

Some of the places have a mesh roof for the individual 'cells', and this is not a bad thing- they can check nobody's using the facility for storing fireworks, fuel or armaments for example. It also mitigates the (already unlikely) prospect of fire damage. On moving house i used one of these places, you supply your own padlock, there's CCTV, they are about as safe and dry as they can be, i just wouldn't store Krugerrands in them.
In reality it is more suitable for short term storage, but there's not a specific problem (apart from cost!) as long as you keep up the payments. Probably want a dust sheet over things, then a plastic sheet over the top of that...belt and braces.

'Junk' is in the eye of the beholder of course, and everybody's situation is different- if the storage you're looking at is 8' x 8' it doesn't sound like you have a MASSIVE amount of stuff that you need to store...? Trying desperately to be impartial here, but if you're paying for the storage and creating living space for your wife i don't see her objection as valid. I think in some of these cases the amount of time spent fixing things is more of an issue than the space they take up in the home....just my experience.

Dave
Old 3rd Dec 2021, 12:35 pm   #4
paulsherwin

Default Re: Rented storage facilities.

Do you have enough space for a shed in the garden?
Old 3rd Dec 2021, 1:06 pm   #5
The Philpott
Dekatron

My maths has suffered, lost sleep to vaccine shivers last night....
25sqft equates to 5' x 5' doesn't it.. even more manageable. (Would be good to have eyeball on the space you're renting, don't want any hitches over the difference between ftsq and sqft.)
Old 3rd Dec 2021, 1:18 pm   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid tellies View Post
I am facing a bit of a crisis at home. My wife says that most of my collection must go or be sold and does not want me to pay for storage as she thinks its all useless junk.
You have my sympathy, Simon, similar problem here on a regular basis.
Old 3rd Dec 2021, 1:33 pm   #7
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Is the roof-space already committed?

B
Old 3rd Dec 2021, 1:40 pm   #8
stuart_morgan_64
Heptode

Over many years of such experience, although wife never been a problem, cheap storage is poor, damp, rats, mice ect. Good storage is expensive, ten years ago i put up a 20 x 10ft shed, insulated, heated, humidity control. Shed is the cheapest if you have space. I have had some poor storage, rats pee stinks more than you can imagine.
Old 3rd Dec 2021, 1:44 pm   #9
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Thanks for the comments.
My loft space is rather full and the wooden shed is not waterproof and is full of garden stuff. Some good points about CCTV and mesh roof.
Most of my stuff is or will be in boxes apart from one bigger television but good point about dust covers.
They have just come back with a quote of £24 per week and as its just down the road it could save on transport costs as well.
I suppose I am lucky that I have avoided the cost of storage for so long. I have been selectively buying future projects in the hope I would be heading for retirement but sadly the goal posts have been moved out by 6- 7 years. But I still don't want to get rid of any of my collection as I hope still to be around to enjoy it whenever I do get to retire.
Old 3rd Dec 2021, 1:51 pm   #10
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

This is a very difficult one. £1300 for a tiny space appears to me to be crazy especially as you will probably never remove any of it once it has been locked away. The danger is that it will be tempting to fill the vacant spaces..
Maybe it is time to have a good sort out and a thinning down of your collection. To be honest I can sympathise with your good lady wife.
Good luck with your hunt for a solution but £1300 sounds a lot for what is little more than a small garden shed. You could probably build a good insulated garden shed for that kind of money. John.
Old 3rd Dec 2021, 2:47 pm   #11
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

I have 2 storage units! I’m not sure now how big the first one is, but the second is 75 sq ft, and was an emergency thing, because we had to clear my Nans house out when she died, there were a few bits that we couldn’t just bung out on the road, such as my Grandads old piano, it’s totally worthless money wise, but it has great sentimental value. The first one was for when we moved house, and most of my stuff from my old workshop went in there, I was supposed to be moving everything out back in 2020, but we all know what happened there! I am also working on thinning stuff down, I have already shifted some stuff, I donated a bunch of old oscilloscopes and a couple of VCR’s to the bring and buy a couple of years ago.

Regards
Lloyd
Old 3rd Dec 2021, 3:11 pm   #12
paulsherwin

Ask around amongst your friends and neighbours if any of them have some storage space they'd be prepared to rent out. Most interwar houses have a box room which isn't used for anything very much, especially once children have grown up. They may also have unused dry garages or cellars.
Old 3rd Dec 2021, 3:18 pm   #13
bionicmerlin
Heptode

I must be the odd one out as my partner ,she loves my junk.
The way things are at the moment I would possibly get rid of things that you can live without ie have a major clear out. You can always buy items at a later date to replace them probably much cheaper as prices are generally going down. . If it’s items of value or sentimental value then could you not keep a few things at home and the remainder do you have any family or friends who could store some for you. Probably 70% of my junk is stored at my mums. She can’t see it as if she did she would go potty Andy
Old 3rd Dec 2021, 4:52 pm   #14
David Simpson
Nonode

Simon, as John suggests, I too would seriously recommend you consider a decent "shed in the garden" as opposed to a "garden shed". As the name suggests they are just for storing garden implements, empty plant pots, etc., & thinmly cladded with lapped or T & G boarding.Usually sold cheaply by B
&Q, and other DIY outlets.
There have been several Forum threads raised in recent years on building sheds suitable for storing & working on - radio & electronic equipment - have a jolly good read.
There could be several vintage radio/TV/electronics/ARS enthusiasts living near you. Forum members, BVWS members, VMARS members. Some of them are bound to have built decent weather-proof, damp-proof, sheds in their gardens, with proper IET Regulations safe wiring. Buy a couple of packets of "HobNobs" & some decent Coffee - then plead for someone to call by with advice & help.

Regards, David.
Old 4th Dec 2021, 10:44 am   #15
woodchips
Octode

I can recommend the Yardmaster tin sheds. Not too elegant but provided can get some wind around it nothing seems to rust inside. Do not go for a container, they are by definition waterproof and everything rusts like crazy.

Possibly replace the existing shed with something larger, Yardmaster will sell you any of the component parts. I made a 10'x8' into a 10'x12' by fitting a false back to it with a sliding door.

I am downsizing, taken years to bin things like old Tek scopes, the effort of selling simply isn't worth it.

Just reading my way through many ME's just acquired, and in 22 Feb 2002 found this.

Tins - by Peter Pascoe

Got round to clearing out his shed today,
His haven of peace - six by ten,
With a carpet of sawdust, shavings and chips,
Mum used to call it his den.

Standing here now I can still hear him say.
“Nay lad, don’t chuck it away
Just put it aside in one of me tins
You’re bound to need it one day.”

The chisel just laid on the bench,
The wood still clamped firm in the vice;
I collect all his tools, still tidied in racks,
So orderly, neat and precise.

A half-finished toy stands on a shelf
Awaiting the touch of his hand
To instil it with magic, bring it to life
To dwell in a child’s wonderland.

Boxes of hinges, doorknobs and bits,
Odds ends of pine, elm and oak,
Plywood and leather, old wire and string,
Each with a purpose bespoke.

“Have you cleared out all of his rubbish?
Have you chucked all his junk in the bins?”

“Well, almost darling - almost my dear …
Except for a couple of tins.”

From Model Engineer 4163, 22 February 2002
Old 4th Dec 2021, 11:08 am   #16
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchips View Post
I can recommend the Yardmaster tin sheds. Not too elegant but provided can get some wind around it nothing seems to rust inside.
Yes, I bought a Yardmaster tin shed about 10 years ago and have been very happy with it (not too expensive and easy to assemble with 2 people). I don't keep any radio gear in it, but by moving other stuff to the Yardmaster, I created space in other places better suited to the radio gear.

I've added ventilation grilles to all of my sheds. My favourite shed is an old octagonal summer house left by the previous owners which now functions as my grit-blasting workshop. The windows make it a nicer place to be than the usual shed design.

B
Old 4th Dec 2021, 11:33 am   #17
Bill
Pentode

A few words of caution...
There was a big fire in one of those secure storage hire firms near here. Some people, in process of moving house etc lost all their possessions and some antique gear was also destroyed. Insured? Probably, but does that cover the sentimental value of heirlooms?
A shed in the garden is the way forward in my opinion.
Old 4th Dec 2021, 1:03 pm   #18
bionicmerlin
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
A few words of caution...
There was a big fire in one of those secure storage hire firms near here. Some people, in process of moving house etc lost all their possessions and some antique gear was also destroyed. Insured? Probably, but does that cover the sentimental value of heirlooms?
A shed in the garden is the way forward in my opinion.
I assume it was the same fire but about 3 months ago I sold a TV set to a guy who lost several items in a storage unit fire.
He was desperate enough to drive a 400 mile round trip . I had one the same as he lost and was trying to replace it.
Andy
Old 4th Dec 2021, 1:26 pm   #19
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

If the wife doesn't want storage to be used and it is over £1000 a year anyway, than that doesn't seem an option whatsoever. Better invested in a decent shed on your own property.
Must admit, my wife of 48 years saw my 4 berth caravan shack that was almost full before we got married.
I have maybe 4x that amount now!
Rob
Old 4th Dec 2021, 3:49 pm   #20
paulsherwin

A secondhand caravan is another option of course, if there's space to park it. They are available for well under £1k, and for just a couple of hundred if they're no longer roadworthy. You may even be able to scrounge one for free if you can arrange transport.
Closed Thread