UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Dec 2021, 8:33 pm   #21
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Default Re: Choosing an LCR meter

I have, and regularly use

Marconi TF1313A
HP250B RX meter
Greneral Radio 1650A capacitance Bridge
HP4275A RCL bridge

I also have a GR 1650A orthonull bridge, and whatever the AVO component bridge is called, and various bits of Wayne Kerr gear.

So I have most bases covered.

Craig
Old 9th Dec 2021, 9:01 pm   #22
factory
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywave View Post
LCR meter now received.

This instrument was advertised as the manufacturer 'Proster'. On this item, that name did not appear: the abbreviation (or name?) 'SZBJ' was displayed. With regard to what follows, I do not know the relevance of that difference, (if any) but a survey of the www shows both are Chinese firms of a substantial size & appear to be professional. Obviously, there may be some close association between them.

Initial inspection.
This instrument came with an instruction leaflet. The English is very poor and confusing, particularly the sub-section on measurement of L.
This instrument features a 'set zero' rotary control (as would be expected). However, that control is only functional on the C ranges, which I found somewhat puzzling.

Al. / Dec. 8th.
The set zero control is probably to compensate for test lead capacitance on the lower ranges.

Some vintage LCR test gear with a zero control I have;

The Hickok DP200 capacitance module for DMS, has it labelled as "Picofarad Cancel Control", this is only used on the lower two ranges and can cancel 30pF of stray capacitance.
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_5388a.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	247573

Systron Donner 9400 L/C meter, only has a "C Zero" control as your modern meter does, I can't remember if it was working though, some ranges and the L function are broken. It does give good results on electrolytics, some of the known bad old stock Philips caps being checked.

Name:	DSC_1853a.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	247574

Yokogawa/HP 4332A LCR meter, has a L/C Zero control, not had this long, works well on C but I haven't checked R or L. It also has a output on the back for connecting a external digital voltmeter (or other equipment), most analog HP meters seem to have something similar.

Name:	SAM_6876b.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	247575

Racal (rebadged AIM) 9343M LCR bridge, also only has the "Zero C" control, this is the most modern LCR meter I have, also has three test frequency ranges of 100Hz, 1kHz and 10kHz. One day I'll make a test lead to be able to properly check against the L/C/R decade boxes I have.

Name:	SAM_7479a.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	247576

David
Old 10th Dec 2021, 8:05 am   #23
dsergeant
Octode

I have the AADE LC meter:
https://www.mtechnologies.com/aade/lcmeter.htm
Sadly NLA since the designer passed away a few years ago but maybe available used. Can't remember what I paid but can't have been much over £100.
The AADE measures components at a relatively high frequency, minimum 20kHz, and gives good and consistent results on small values with its 1% claimed accuracy. It has a built in zero function to take out the effect of probes, though it is hard to get a stable reading at lower values.

Well recommended if you can find one.

73 Dave
Closed Thread