UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Oct 2021, 4:01 pm   #21
FireballX
Triode

Default Re: White Spot On TV Screen On Turn Off & What Make

I remember staring into the screen as a child in the early 60s and seeing how long I could still see the spot after turning the set off before it (the spot, not the set!) vanished. It will have been a rental set (Rediffusion?) but no idea what make or model.
Old 6th Oct 2021, 6:49 pm   #22
Hartley118
Nonode

I recall that our family Pye FV1 (1951) was great at the brilliant switch-off spot. And it seemed to avoid screen burn despite the fact that switch-off happened twice per day then - one after the 5pm children’s programmes and again after the 8pm grown-ups’ programmes.

Interesting that, after years of nothingness after switch-off, our current Samsung QLED shows a passable imitation of frame collapse - enough to worry any CRT TV service technician.

Martin
Old 6th Oct 2021, 8:35 pm   #23
raditechman
Heptode

The comment from FireballX (post 21) remined me that I am sure as a child I would get a strong magnet and have fun putting the magnet next to the screen and moving the switch of spot about while it faded away.

John
Old 6th Oct 2021, 9:02 pm   #24
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by raditechman View Post
The comment from FireballX (post 21) remined me that I am sure as a child I would get a strong magnet and have fun putting the magnet next to the screen and moving the switch of spot about while it faded away.

John
Oh yes I remember doing that as well!
Old 5th Dec 2021, 12:24 pm   #25
Sundog-
Triode

As a field engineer you came across some odd situations. One call said "Spot on centre of screen".

I was surprised to see the inside of the house was a film set. A large man dressed in outrageous colours (for the time), came over and said "I'm the director, it's about the spot on that TV". The TV was on and I saw no spot. I switched it off and there was no spot, so I asked "What spot?" "EXACTY" he boomed - "there's no spot as it turns off."

When I told him it wasn't feasible to make the set do this, he just brushed me away muttering he'd have to fix it in post-production.
Old 5th Dec 2021, 3:12 pm   #26
peter_scott
Dekatron

The switch-off spot was not a problem with the pre-war EMI sets. They did instruct you to turn the brightness control down before switching on but surprisingly they made no suggestion that you should turn it down before switching off!

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hb4a.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	247322  
Old 5th Dec 2021, 9:25 pm   #27
thermionic
Heptode

There was, at least one set, where the on/off switch was ganged with the brightness control, so eliminating this problem.

Before I go trawling through all my sets, can anyone suggest which models incorporated this?

Cheers.

SimonT.
Old 5th Dec 2021, 9:34 pm   #28
kalee20
Dekatron

So, when you switched off, was that at maximum brightness (so that the high EHT current discharged the tube capacitance quickly, before the scanning circuit died), or was it minimum (so that the tube was cut off, and it contrived to stay cut off till the cathode fell below emitting temperature)?

Either scenario is possible...
Old 5th Dec 2021, 10:39 pm   #29
thermionic
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
So, when you switched off, was that at maximum brightness (so that the high EHT current discharged the tube capacitance quickly, before the scanning circuit died), or was it minimum (so that the tube was cut off, and it contrived to stay cut off till the cathode fell below emitting temperature)?

Either scenario is possible...
It was at minimum brightness. The CRT grid was brought to near chassis potential.

SimonT.
Old 6th Dec 2021, 3:16 am   #30
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundog- View Post
As a field engineer you came across some odd situations. One call said "Spot on centre of screen".

I was surprised to see the inside of the house was a film set. A large man dressed in outrageous colours (for the time), came over and said "I'm the director, it's about the spot on that TV". The TV was on and I saw no spot. I switched it off and there was no spot, so I asked "What spot?" "EXACTY" he boomed - "there's no spot as it turns off."

When I told him it wasn't feasible to make the set do this, he just brushed me away muttering he'd have to fix it in post-production.

See my "Bulman" anecdote at the end of this post:
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...62&postcount=9

I did subsequently find the episode on Youtube, but it later got removed for copyright reasons.
Old 7th Dec 2021, 5:46 pm   #31
thermionic
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermionic View Post
There was, at least one set, where the on/off switch was ganged with the brightness control, so eliminating this problem.

Before I go trawling through all my sets, can anyone suggest which models incorporated this?

Cheers.

SimonT.
The Ambassador TV7, is one such set! Does anyone know of other manufacturers who incorporated the brilliance control with the on / off switch to limit the white spot problem?

Cheers.

SimonT.
Old 7th Dec 2021, 6:06 pm   #32
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

You could argue that ganging the volume control with the on/off switch is the worst possible choice!

The popular Bush TR82 radio has the on/off ganged with the tone pot, so the volume is the same as the last time you used the set.

With a TV on/off ganged with the brightness you may still have to readjust, but there again with mean-level AGC, AC coupling etc conspiring together with picture content, there is no "ideal" brightness setting on a typical vintage TV anyway.
Old 9th Dec 2021, 7:04 am   #33
Focus Diode
Octode

I've noticed the Plessey MK1 chassis warming up to display a spot when the HT fuse fails!
Old 9th Dec 2021, 10:30 am   #34
Sideband
Dekatron

My Ferguson '45' (1958) portable has a switch-off spot but it fades fairly quickly.
Old 9th Dec 2021, 10:46 am   #35
AdrianH
Octode

And a switch off spot on my Ferguson 991T 1954.

Adrian
Closed Thread