UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th May 2021, 4:43 pm   #1
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Wyndsor Viscount

I've just bought a Wyndsor Viscount tape recorder and wonder if anyone knew a source of information on it.

It's a mono, valved, machine using the Collaro Mk 4 (I think) deck, I have the information from 'up top' on the deck. Three speeds (3.75, 7.5, 15 ips), 4 heads (erase and combined record/play for each direction). Alas the speaker in the lid is missing (I have the lid, fortunately), along with its cable which I assume plugs into the 2 pin socket on the back of the machine, looks to be similar to an LT battery plug and I probably have one somewhere.

I've worked out how to get inside -- take off the plastic deck plate, then remove the wooden strip at the top front of the case (2 obvious screws), remove the EM84, then take out the 3 screws retaining the deck and the whole lot lifts out. But before I do any more, does anyone have a circuit diagram, etc?
Old 12th May 2021, 8:55 pm   #2
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Wyndsor Viscount

Circuit diagram is attached. Original scan quality is quite good, but Forum attachment process has reduced the quality.

PM me with your email address if you want original copy of the scan.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	233900  
Old 13th May 2021, 7:47 am   #3
brenellic2000
Octode

Wyndsor was founded by Robert Creek (his son later formed Creek radio). Bob was ex RAF so most of his later models were named after RAF aeroplanes; they did a lot of secret government work.

Originally radio and amplifier makers they used Lane, Collaro, BSR and other (Truvox, Harting...) decks. The Viscount was available with a high/low speed converter offering up to 15ips.
Old 13th May 2021, 11:38 am   #4
Station X

Thanks.

The model I have is called a Trident, so it looks like names of civilian aircraft were used too.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=157411

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 13th May 2021, 12:26 pm   #5
brenellic2000
Octode

Indeed, Wyndsor did use other aeroplane names (Vanguard, Sabre...) and non-aviation (International, Dauphin...). Wyndsor was a play on Windsor (the castle and a royal Herald formed their early motif).
Old 14th May 2021, 2:27 pm   #6
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Hellyer's "Tape Recorder Servicing Manual" book has schematics for the Dauphin, Herald, Regent, Victor & Viscount but not the Trident.

David
Old 15th May 2021, 12:02 pm   #7
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Reasonable quality PDF for the Viscount schematic is attached.

Even though saved in correct orientation it may open upside down.

David
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1.pdf (766.1 KB, 99 views)
Old 16th May 2021, 5:57 pm   #8
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
Hellyer's "Tape Recorder Servicing Manual" book has schematics for the Dauphin, Herald, Regent, Victor & Viscount but not the Trident.

David
Note in the "A guide to British tape recorders" indicates that the Herald referenced in Hellyer's may have been a typo for the Wyndsor Heron.
Closed Thread