UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th May 2021, 8:43 pm   #1
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Default Garrard RC1

Hi all

I thought I'd open this thread seperated to the radiogram thread as I think this unit needs separate attention, despite being a part of the gram it is a very primative autochanger and I believe Garrards first on the market.

I've had to remove the motor and have stripped it down, cleaned and regreased. I've also replaced the crumbling mains wiring to the motor.

The pick up also required attention due to hardened rubber, with the aid of a puncture repair kit and some quite precision cutting I have been able to replace the damping rubbers returning good movement of the needles.

I now need to replace the wires from the pick up that travel through the arm and under the turntable chassis. The ones currently in there are very solid and they don't feel as though they'll just pull through, I'm unsure whether they're clamped somewhere inside the tone arm or whether they have deteriorated so much that they just won't budge when pulled.

The tone arm is awfully difficult to remove so I'd rather leave it in situ, so I just want to ask if anybody can clarify for me whether the pick up wires are in fact free before I start to pull them with more force. With some luck I can solder the replacement wires to them and use the old wires to feed them through as they're being removed.
Closed Thread