UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 8th May 2021, 5:07 pm   #1
Montgomery
Diode

Default Vintage Wharfedale three-way corner speaker

I have my late father's vintage Wharfedale corner speaker. It has three speakers, one on the front, two at the top. It is mahogany, I think. The case is a hollow frame filled with sand. We really don't have room for it, sadly, and would like it to go to a good home. I haven't been able to find the name of the speaker. A photo is attached (sorry about the ladder in the way).

At one time my father had a Wharfedale stereo system. He could not afford the real Wharfedale speaker so he built a speaker system to almost the same spec, building the hollow frame and filling it with sand that he dried in my mother's oven(!). When he was able to buy an authentic speaker second-hand he had both set up in the living room. Fortunately we lived in a detached bungalow!

I should really appreciate any help in identifying the speaker, and suggestions as to how to find a good home for it.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210508_165047601.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	233565  
Old 8th May 2021, 5:37 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Vintage Wharfedale three-way corner speaker

Well, you basically have identified it. The two unit (mid/tweeter) was also a genuine Wharfedale sold to complement this. This may be hard to sell as these were originally used for a Mono system, so it's hghly unlikely anyone will have a matching one of these for use in Stereo. You will have to remove the sand to shift it too! I have all the original Wharfedale leaflets (in storage) for both of these c.1957.
Old 8th May 2021, 6:53 pm   #3
GrimJosef
Dekatron

The details of your speaker are, I think, on p6 of this brochure http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Wharfed...62_page1-8.pdf.

If you had a pair then they would definitely be worth money. There is a niche market for vintage hi-fi, but it can have surprisingly deep pockets. There is even a sub-niche which still plays mono, although now you might be trying to locate just one or two indviduals who really want your speaker.

One solution to this is to try speaking to dealers. They may already have picked up one and be patiently waiting for another. In which case you will have the upper hand when it comes to negotiations, of course .

There could be another issue though. Wharfedale were early adopters of foam 'surrounds' (the flexible ring which connects the outer edge of the driver cone to the rigid frame) as replacements for the rubberised fabric or corrugated paper ones which had been used previously. Unfortunately these early plastics were very short-lived and by now they have almost all crumbled to powder. If your drivers have lost their surrounds then they'll need to be replaced. This can be done, and it quite often is, but you need to be able to get a suitable replacement surround and be sufficiently steady-handed to fit it. Any buyer of your speaker would have to factor the cost of doing that into the value they put on it. By the way, if you think the surrounds might have failed then please resist the temptation to play music through the speaker. It may damage it.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 8th May 2021, 10:14 pm   #4
Montgomery
Diode

Thanks, Edward and GrimJoseph. Yes, that's the one on page 6 of the brochure. The two speakers (the original and the copy) were used for stereo in the 70's and 80's, but not since then. The copy no longer exists. I'll have a look at the foam surrounds for the speaker, as advised. Again, many thanks.
Closed Thread