UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Apr 2021, 6:59 pm   #1
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Default XLR barrels?

I have made a test 'FETHead' clone to boost an XLR microphone before my USB audio interface. The commercial examples of this and the similar 'Cloudlifter' exist in natty little box enclosures or are crammed into barrels with XLR connectors on each end.

The only example of this that I've found is a Switchcraft part at RS, but it's £27. Neutrik appear to have a modular system on their online catalogue which could be what is used by some manufacturers, but I can't find a UK supplier.

Can anyone with XLR experience tell me if I can, for example, screw some in-line connectors into a piece of tube or otherwise make or buy something that will enable me to have a neat, in-line, veroboard construction plugged directly into my audio interface?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cloudlifter.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	232673   Click image for larger version

Name:	triton_audio_fethead_in_line_microphone_preamp_1245015.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	232674  
Old 26th Apr 2021, 7:17 pm   #2
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: XLR barrels?

To me - and I'm not you (obviously!) - I would weigh up the time and money spent on making one vs a ready made one at £27. Now that really depends on whether you are interested in 'the project' or simply just want the device. Me? I would buy the device for £27.
Old 26th Apr 2021, 8:04 pm   #3
barrymagrec
Octode

The Switchcraft part is cheaper from Digikey.

https://www.digikey.co.uk/product-de...048-ND/1290432
Old 26th Apr 2021, 9:30 pm   #4
Sound Man
Tetrode

Could you utilise one of these XLR attenuators - cpc.farnell.com/attenuator-adaptor-20db-xlr/AV17579

David
Old 26th Apr 2021, 9:37 pm   #5
Stuart R
Heptode

CPC do a short 2-part extruded case that allows you to mount to XLR-style connectors back to back, but it doesn't look very long.

https://cpc.farnell.com/neutrik/na-h...ype/dp/AV18089

There is a longer one made, but CPC only seem to stock it as a fully-built adapter.

Thomann's website suggest they sell the long one, but offer pictures of the long and short variety for the same product code and price:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/neutrik_na_housing.htm

A few eBay sellers seem to have them, here's the long one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162189058...kAAOSwMgdXyUNg

Ensure you buy XLR connectors from the D-size range, Neutrik and competitors make a variety of audio, optical, power and even 9 pin D types that fit an identical panel cut-out.

(No connection with the seller.)

Kind Regards,

SR
Old 26th Apr 2021, 10:32 pm   #6
Stuart R
Heptode

I'm beginning to think it's only available in one size, 65mm long. The photography seems to be playing tricks on my eyes.

You can buy D-series XLRs mounted on extended stalks, which would maximise the space inside the case for a PCB. Look up Neutrik numbers NM3FD-B and NM3MD-B.

But it's now looking expensive....

SR
Old 27th Apr 2021, 1:03 pm   #7
mhennessy
Dekatron

I've built active DI boxes into those Neutrik NA cases - I think I bought them from RS, but it was a while back... They have slots to hold a PCB, and with an XLR at one end and a 1/4" socket at the other (installed into a plastic D-series blanking plate) you get about 20mm for a PCB. Plenty for a dual op-amp and a few passives - a mic pre would be quite feasible, I'd have thought (I'm not familiar with the "FETHead" - any chance of a link?). With an XLR at the input end, you'll obviously get quite a bit more space. You can get more than one PCB in there if you're careful where you put the taller components.

I built mine on Veroboard using standard-sized components, and the board was laid out in a fairly "hygienic" way, without too many bodges. If building more, I'd consider a PCB and perhaps SMT components, but that would depend on how rushed for time I was and how many I needed to build. I keep getting requests from musicians for them, but I there's no way I could do into small-scale production at a sensible price. I don't have pictures to hand, but once I've got around to doing the photography, there's a write-up on my website almost ready to go.
Old 27th Apr 2021, 1:32 pm   #8
Electronpusher0
Nonode

I was in my local hobby supplier, Squires, and saw these. Are they any good for your project?

Squires do mail order
http://www.squirestools.com/

Peter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20210427_113001[1].jpg
Views:	85
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	232749  
Old 27th Apr 2021, 2:37 pm   #9
Philco-Pete
Tetrode

I knew I had one somewhere, Didn’t want to post before I found it
New and unused, has Neutrik XLRs with gold plated pins.
Yours for the postage if you would like it.
PM me your address and I’ll get it off to you
Cheers
Pete
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	641C4312-2136-442A-A2CB-C76014AF79A8.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	232757   Click image for larger version

Name:	B108C541-BA12-462A-BC1B-B30CCC272B68.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	232758  
Old 27th Apr 2021, 6:14 pm   #10
JonSnell
Hexode

Mouser are less expensive than RS (nothing unusual there).
https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDeta...0s033bPAN07A==
Old 27th Apr 2021, 6:53 pm   #11
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Thank you for all the marvellous suggestions! stevehertz - mostly time-rich at the moment, I was loath to drop an unexpectedly large amount if it turned out unsuitable. It looks smaller than the FEThead in diameter, so I wasn't convinced I could fit 'normal' components inside.

Thanks barrymagrec, I've not used DigiKey before. I thought they were just US.

Stuart R - very comprehensive! I hadn't seen those Neutrik extrusions. They're quite similar to the Cloudlifter, though the latter looks more like a bent steel construction. Perhaps it's a special for their product. It looks like Philco-Pete has one of these, which I think I'll try. Certainly more room for components on Veroboard.

mhennessy - the FEThead is a simple phantom powered preamp by Triton Audio. I got a couple of variations on the circuit from the Micbuilders.io board. It appears both it and the Cloudlifter are very similar in construction.

Electronpusher0 - lucky you having Squires nearby! My brother has one of their comprehensive catalogues for craft items. I hadn't thought to look for electronics, as it does look like the same part. Similarly Sound Man's attenuators looks like a case of more stuff for less money...

Philco-Pete - I'll send you a PM as that does look suitable for my simple Veroboard. Very generous!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FEThead1.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	232769   Click image for larger version

Name:	FETHead2.jpg
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	232770   Click image for larger version

Name:	cloudlifterschematic.jpg
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	232771  
Old 27th Apr 2021, 9:16 pm   #12
Julesomega
Nonode

For a lot more you can buy the complete XLR-to-USB adapter
MXL Mic Mate Pro Microphone Adaptor

It's good here
Old 27th Apr 2021, 9:22 pm   #13
mhennessy
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bulgaria View Post
mhennessy - the FEThead is a simple phantom powered preamp by Triton Audio. I got a couple of variations on the circuit from the Micbuilders.io board. It appears both it and the Cloudlifter are very similar in construction.
I'd found the original product, but schematics of the various clones were what I was looking for, so that I could judge how feasible it would be to fit it all into the Neutrik NA case - the mention of my DI, based on a dual op-amp, was my point of reference. So yes, that simple circuit should fit with no issues at all - there's not much to it.

I took a few snaps of the DI - the Veroboard is 11 tracks of 8 holes, but as I said, with an XLR at both ends, you'll get a bit more. I think I count 13 resistors, 6 caps, 5 diodes, an LED and a socketed dual op-amp in that space - some of the resistors were 1/8W, but looking now, most could have been "standard" 1/4W. In terms of minor "Veroboard Sins", there's one resistor and a wire link under the IC socket, occasionally more than one component lead in the same hole, a couple of components mounted on the rear, and 5 track cuts with a knife rather than a spot face cutter (for layout reasons). Oh, and a resistor and cap mounted in mid-air! But it's all fairly neat and serviceable should that become necessary in future. Hopefully it inspires and/or encourages you with your project

Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2962.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	232794   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2965.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	232795   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2967.jpg