UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Apr 2021, 10:24 pm   #1
jascha
Hexode

Default Tandberg 92 service manual in English

Hi everyone,

Today I picked up a lovely Tandberg 92 from our local boot sale which I am looking forward to restore. It's in really excellent condition and wish to restore it however the only manual I found online is in Norwegian.

Would anyone by chance happen to have a service manual pdf in English to share please?

Many thanks in advance
Old 18th Apr 2021, 11:52 pm   #2
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Tandberg 92 service manual in English

It does not help but maybe the manual you need is for the Model 9, the 92 being the 2 track version and the 94 being the 4 track version, cannot easily find one though.

David
Old 18th Apr 2021, 11:55 pm   #3
jascha
Hexode

Thanks David. I did search also for the series 9 also but so far no luck. I can still get by with the norwegian version as it gives me the schematic and the parts list, however for anything else it's challenging to understand it.

Carmine
Old 19th Apr 2021, 12:16 am   #4
DMcMahon
Dekatron

hifiengine under Tandberg 9 has the schematic and adjustment for 921/922 in English.

David
Old 19th Apr 2021, 12:23 am   #5
jascha
Hexode

Thanks again David. That's very helpful. I have downloaded them.
Best wishes
C
Old 23rd Apr 2021, 5:47 am   #6
ricard
Octode

The model 9 is virtually identical to the model 8, the only difference being the additional 7 1/2 speed, which affects the equalization switch and associated circuitry in the amplifier, and possibly the left hand reel table mechanism (later Tandbergs with the 7 1/2 speed have a slight active back tension intended to take up the slack when the machine is put in pause mode; I'm not sure it's the case for the model 9 though) so if you want more substantial information you can use the model 8 service manual to start with, which should be more widely available, as this machine was one of if not the most popular Tandberg machine.
Old 23rd Apr 2021, 7:11 am   #7
jascha
Hexode

Many thanks Ricard for this valuable information. I should have thought of this myself considering I have been watching your YT videos on the various Tandberg machines in your collection, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I shall look for the series 8 manual online and download it as you suggested. Out of interest may I ask you why Tandberg came out with 2 different designs for the series 9 machines? The one that I have had the rounded corners but I know of others that have the more standard square design, similar to the Series 15.
Many thanks once again.
Old 23rd Apr 2021, 9:39 am   #8
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Tandberg 8 Service, User and Schematic on hifiengine.com, the Service manual also on audioservicemanuals.com but all in Norwegian.

David
Old 23rd Apr 2021, 12:57 pm   #9
jascha
Hexode

Many thanks David. I did search also on elektrotanya but the same issue. Hmmm ��, if it comes to the worst I might have to learn Norwegian ��
Old 24th Apr 2021, 11:47 am   #10
ricard
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by jascha View Post
Many thanks Ricard for this valuable information. I should have thought of this myself considering I have been watching your YT videos on the various Tandberg machines in your collection, which I thoroughly enjoyed.
Glad you enjoy them!

Quote:
Out of interest may I ask you why Tandberg came out with 2 different designs for the series 9 machines? The one that I have had the rounded corners but I know of others that have the more standard square design, similar to the Series 15.
They were not produced at the same time, it's a question of chronology.

Going back to the 1950s, all Tandberg machines had the rounded corners as that was the style then, with a redish tone wooden case, and top plate in yellow hammerite (superceding the brown used on the earliest machines), with yellow bakelite knobs, as well as a yellow speaker grille.

As the 1950s started to roll over to the 1960s, the case style changed to anthracite grey top plates with teak cases, and silvery knobs. The first of the 1960s machines was the semi professional model 6 (deck, with three heads) which had square corners, and black reel holders and knobs (the only machine produced in this specific color scheme). The second one was the model 8, and here they retained the shape of the 1950s machines with the rounded corners and separately mounted speaker grille, albeit grey. My speculation is that they initially retained the rounded edges for home machines such as the model 8, while trying to achieve a more professional look with the model 6.

However, as the 1960s progressed, just as tape reels moved from having large rounded openings to small square ones, reminiscent of computer tape reels, to look more 'up to date', all other models received square edges, and when it was time to upgrade the hugely successful model 8 and it's rather less successful but close sibling the model 9, it received square corners and the later style integrated speaker grille (just slits in the wooden case). There are other differences as well; the later (square) models feature DIN connectors for radio and speaker connections which the first variant lacked, only having RCA connectors.

A third version of the model was also produced, which essentially looked identical to the second one, except the style of knobs was upgraded, with closer spaced knurling. The color for the top plate was also changed from the metallic looking anthracite to a more straight dark grey. This was the style also used for all succeeding transistorized machines including the model 8's transistorized succcessor, the model 14, as well as later versions of the model 6.

As the 1970s rolled around and the case style changed again with the new models introduced then, the model 14 (and 15, the successor to the model 9 with its three speeds) went on to enjoy an extended life as a machine more geared towards institutional use, for most of this time in the same case style. Later it was changed to black, indeed, I have a model 15 dated 1983, which has a black top deck with even squarer corners than the 1960s models, and a black plastic case in otherwise the same style as the wooden ones (although to be precise, when the dark grey top plate emerged, the wooden case got a 'bulb', i.e. a raised section all round, I think to break up the continuity of the surface, thus given it a slimmer look, but the later model 14 and 15 models again lost the bulb possibly as a cost saving measure - and by then, the machines were no longer sold on looks but on reliability).

In total, as far as I know, there were six versions of the model 8, well, 12 actually if one considers that there were both 2 and 4 track versions, for the 4 track versions the models where as follows:
Model 841 - wooden case with rounded corners, anthracite top plate
Model 842 - portable version with two tone grey case and carrying strap
Model 843 - wooden case with square corners, no 'bulb', anthracite top plate
Model 844 - portable version with square corners, like the 843
Model 845 - wooden case with square corners and 'bulb', dark grey top plate
Model 846 - portable version housed in brief case

(The case for the models 842 and 844 is actually thick cardboard, covered with some cloth like covering (doesn't seem to be vinyl as was popular with other makes), over a metal frame.

I'm not sure if the model 9 was available in all six styles; the information I have suggests that it was produced until 1968 just like the model 8, but I think it sold in much fewer numbers, with customers who were interested in the sound quality offered by the 7 1/2 ips tape speed instead going for the stereo models.

Last edited by ricard; 24th Apr 2021 at 11:59 am.
Old 24th Apr 2021, 12:14 pm   #11
jascha
Hexode

Wow that’s quite an interesting amount of detail. That’s really great for sharing and for taking the time to write it. 👏👏👍
Closed Thread