UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Old 13th Apr 2021, 2:14 pm   #21
rambo1152
Nonode

Default Re: Use of CT in morse?

SK is still in amateur use and is often written as VA, I wonder if one style is American parlance, it's academic really, the prosign is the same.

SK ir just SK is also an alternative to RIP in obituaries, which is quite fitting. (End of working. Silent Key.)

This seems an ideal thread to try out the custom BB code that Paul added to the forum last month.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=177171
rambo1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Apr 2021, 2:19 pm   #22
Station X

"the morse code for radio amateurs" 1977 edition says:-

Quote:
_._._ Commencing signal (to precede every transmission)
I assumed it was to wake up a sleepy operator. Listening to silence for long periods must have been boring.

Keep the soldering iron hot.
Station X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Apr 2021, 4:17 pm   #23
rambo1152
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
"the morse code for radio amateurs" 1977 edition says:-

Quote:
_._._ Commencing signal (to precede every transmission)
I assumed it was to wake up a sleepy operator. Listening to silence for long periods must have been boring.
Yes, and the iambic rhythm is ideal for synchronising your wrist muscles with the Vibroplex key. (Other sideswipers are available)
Old 13th Apr 2021, 8:44 pm   #24
majoconz
Hexode

Quote:
I assumed it was to wake up a sleepy operator.
Often found that the operator didn't need a wake-up call. How many times have you been sitting there, feet up on the desk reading a lurid novel with the cacophony of 5 ton from the English Channel in your headset, when suddenly you perk up - someone sent my callsign! There must be a small portion of brain filtering all that noise and just picking out the call - how does it do that?
Old 14th Apr 2021, 7:21 am   #25
QQVO6/40
Pentode

G'day everyone.

I am old school.
I use "CT" the same way I use the question "is this frequency in use".
My very first morse signal or my first voice signal is sent 2 or 3 times then a pause to determine if the frequency is actually in use by other people.

I believe this way is a gentlemanly way of working so I don't trample other band users.

I agree with Martin on his last point. I am ex-army from long ago and I know that I have been fast asleep with a headset on my ears and I have been able to respond to somebody calling my call sign on the radio. The human brain is certainly a wonderful thing. I guess in a way it is similar to having selective deafness when in the company of whinging squabbling children. Sorry! Couldn't resist throwing that one in.

Cheers.
Robert.
QQVO6/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Apr 2021, 2:58 pm   #26
rambo1152
Nonode

The ability to filter a wanted signal from the general chatter has been described as "The cocktail party effect".
Old 14th Apr 2021, 4:52 pm   #27
dsergeant
Octode

The correct way to ask if the frequency is in use is QRL? - without a CT in sight...

Related to the cocktail party effect - listening to the bands when you are sat right in front of the rig and all you hear is noise. Walk out of the shack to somewhere else and you miraculously suddenly hear the station you are expecting crystal clear. Dash back to the shack and you hear nothing. The human ear is an incredible thing!

73 Dave G3YMC
dsergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2021, 12:20 am   #28
majoconz
Hexode

Dave said:
Quote:
Dash back to the shack and you hear nothing. The human ear is an incredible thing!
Is that similar to "Raudive Voices" - listen to the same piece of noise over and over and suddenly a voice will say something!

https://psychicscience.org/evp