UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th May 2021, 3:07 pm   #21
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Pye TR9559 Cassette - Playback Sound Interference

Hi Greg, Don't mention it - it's nice to interact with people like yourself who are curious enough to learn and 'get their hands dirty' with this older technology.

No experience with the WD40 contact spray, but a quick look on the description seems like it would be more than adequate for this kind of thing.

The thing to do is spray it into the switches from within, then work them back and forth about twenty times, then spray again. That should then at least eliminate these areas as being the cause of the erratic performance on playback.

The other AIWA deck is likely to be mechanical rather than electronic work. Some are easier than others to dismantle. Bering methodical and taking plenty of photos is essential so you know what goes where. The service manual (look on elektrotanya) might be useful to see the belt path. But I'm getting ahead of myself here!
Old 11th May 2021, 2:13 pm   #22
DoWahDiddy54321
Triode

Default Re: Pye TR9559 Cassette - Playback Sound Interference

Thanks Ben,
I'll have a go at opening up the Pye unit and dealing with the switches as per your advice next weekend when i should have some spare time.

If just mechanical, then i'll happily tackle my AIWA further down the line if i need to. I'll have a look for the service manual in the meantime.

Regards
Greg
Closed Thread