UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 4th May 2021, 6:03 pm   #1
dsergeant
Octode

Default Dr Dre Beatbox

There was a thread a few years ago on these powered loudspeaker thingamybobs.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=140432

I have no less than two of these things, both seemingly totally dead with the power led out. I assume it is a faulty power supply board as discussed in the above thread.

I have not yet taken the power supply out of the box. Getting access to it in the first place was far from a two minute job as it is all torx screws and my T15 screwdriver was found to have its splines damaged so I had to buy a new torx screwdriver first. Job tomorrow is to take the psu board out and try and work out what is (or not) going on. On one of the units only at the moment.

Any tips, or is it a case of as said towards the end of that thread that it is best just not trying.

Thanks
Dave
Old 10th May 2021, 5:42 pm   #2
dsergeant
Octode

Default Re: Dr Dre Beatbox

Just an update on this one. Having finally got inside it and the psu board removed I found as mentioned in the linked thread a shorted diode. D1 on one of the units, D2 on the other one. BYW96 fitted, probably over rated but did the job.

Not sure what it is about T15 torx screwdriver but when I had finished the new one also had worn splines. Maybe the screws are not T15 at all..

Dave
Closed Thread