UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Apr 2021, 11:38 am   #1
retailer
Heptode

Default Does anyone recognise this valve power supply?

I picked up two valve power supplies from a local but now sadly closed electronics aladdin's cave called Robbies, I'm looking to repurpose them as valve amp power supplies and it occurred to me they may be from a well known amp maker of the past - just wondering if anyone recognises them - the 6V6 is just there as a size reference, the socket is wired for GZ32 - the transformer and choke are both marked Gardeners Radio Ltd.
The Jones style connector has 3 connections - 6.3V ac, HT and both share a common ground, the twin electrolytic is marked Nov. 51 I'm assuming this is November 1951.
Doing some internet searching revealed little except that it appears Gardeners is/was a UK based concern.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210429_154856.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	232892   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210429_154907.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	232893   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210429_154913.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	232894   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210429_154930.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	232895  
Old 29th Apr 2021, 11:59 am   #2
G8UWM-MildMartin
Heptode

Default Re: Does anyone recognise this valve power supply

I have one. Bought late 1970s from NW Electrics in Levenshulme. It doesn't have the fuseholder. The electrolytic blew up when left unloaded once.
I would also be interested to know about its origins.
Old 29th Apr 2021, 1:08 pm   #3
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: Does anyone recognise this valve power supply?

Looks as though Gardners (without the first "e") has folded but their technical information is in the hands of Avon Magnetics, still in the same town of Christchurch, Dorset, who offer a transformer building service:

https://www.avonmagnetics.com/news.php

They say data sheets are available for some products: I don't expect that would be likely to include the transformer and choke here, but an enquiry might possibly be worthwhile.

Paul
Old 29th Apr 2021, 2:38 pm   #4
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Interesting design ! 2-pin mains inlet, so no earth (at least not that way) and the mains inlet connector facing upwards, so bound to 'collect' whatever falls onto it. If that's a long enough bit of metal debris then you've successfully connected mains live to the unearthed chassis ...

If you were going to modify it very much then you might want to consider what a matching pair of Gardners mains transformers and chokes is worth now. You may find that you could sell them, buy less prestigious replacements and have funds left over to go towards the rest of the valve amp.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 29th Apr 2021, 4:18 pm   #5
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by retailer View Post
I picked up two valve power supplies from a local but now sadly closed electronics aladdin's cave called Robbies, I'm looking to repurpose them as valve amp power supplies and it occurred to me they may be from a well known amp maker of the past - just wondering if anyone recognises them - the 6V6 is just there as a size reference, the socket is wired for GZ32 - the transformer and choke are both marked Gardeners Radio Ltd.
The Jones style connector has 3 connections - 6.3V ac, HT and both share a common ground, the twin electrolytic is marked Nov. 51 I'm assuming this is November 1951.
Doing some internet searching revealed little except that it appears Gardeners is/was a UK based concern.
You don't see items built with that much attention to detail!
Dave, USradcoll1
Old 29th Apr 2021, 4:37 pm   #6
TowerRadio
Hexode

Something brings to mind Vortexion but made for the military/naval use.Les
Old 29th Apr 2021, 7:09 pm   #7
barretter
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_RK View Post
Looks as though Gardners (without the first "e") has folded but their technical information is in the hands of Avon Magnetics, still in the same town of Christchurch, Dorset, who offer a transformer building service:

https://www.avonmagnetics.com/news.php

They say data sheets are available for some products: I don't expect that would be likely to include the transformer and choke here, but an enquiry might possibly be worthwhile.

Paul
Gardners Radio, which made transformers and chokes, was based in a town called Somerford which is near Christchurch but is in Hampshire not Dorset. There is a 26 page list of their products on Electrojumble. Presumably the power supplies were made by somebody using their products rather than by Gardners themselves.
Old 29th Apr 2021, 8:15 pm   #8
Cobaltblue

Historically Christchurch and Bournemouth were part of Hampshire until 1974.

This has little bearing on the parts in question but makes sense why "Christchurch" address would make sense when these transformers were made.

Anyone who knows the area can clearly see where old Hampshire ended and Old Dorset started, think communications

Poole had a lot of Manufacturing including Company's Like Cyldon and of Course Plessey it could be manufactured for such a concern

Cheers

Mike T
Old 3rd May 2021, 12:13 pm   #9
Marconi_MPT4
Heptode

For anyone interested in a potted history of Cecil Gardner and how his business expanded in Somerford Road, it can be found on Wikipedia. Scroll down to the section entitled 'Ministry of Defence and the electronics industry' then last paragraph.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...church,_Dorset

Rich
Old 3rd May 2021, 3:25 pm   #10
retailer
Heptode

Thanks for all the replies, I checked out the Christchurch Wiki page thanks for the link it was interesting reading and downloaded the Gardners catalog from Electrojumble, the names of the various transformers reminded me of browsing through an Ikea catalog - Gardners transformers look to have been quality gear, the ones I have look to be part of the Hengist series.
Old 3rd May 2021, 3:39 pm   #11
barrymagrec
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerRadio View Post
Something brings to mind Vortexion but made for the military/naval use.Les
Vortexion always wound their own transformers, as far as I know.
Closed Thread