UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Feb 2021, 10:59 am   #1
stitch1
Heptode

Default Forum Facebook page.

Hello,
I'm a member of the UKVRRR Facebook page as well as other sites that interest me, exRAF, telecoms, local history etc etc. I've noticed these are all 'Private Groups' where I can join in with discussions or create posts, share photos and these are not shared with anyone outside of the group.

However, this group is 'Public' anything I post is shared with 'friends' in their News Feeds. I don't mind them seeing what I post but the majority will not be interested. As far as I can see there's no way to stop this so I only post on Private Groups.

This is an excellent site aas is the Facebook spin off which is ideal for general chat and photo sharing etc.

I'm not asking for changes, it is what it is, just something that has puzzled me for a while, why is this group public when the majority of 'special intrest sites are private'?

John
Old 16th Feb 2021, 5:33 pm   #2
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Forum Facebook page

This isn't a 'group' it's a 'forum'. Many private special interest groups closed to the public sometimes require that to become a member, you have to be from a certain background (EG serving of former police officer or service personnel). Others such as local history groups, may be restricted to people within a defined geographical area.

In most forums, it's possible for members of the public anywhere in the world to read the content, but not to post messages. The fact that messages are in the public domain and anyone, anywhere in the world can read our messages is made clear in the rules:

Rule B - Posting Messages:

6: Remember that you are making statements in a public forum and that you are legally responsible for your own words and for any action that may result from your comments.

I'm not sure why anyone would be concerned about members of the public reading our posts and I dare say that's how many of our well-established members came to learn of the forum in the first instance, as I did back in 2003. But we do have anonymity, which some people are 'precious' about, sometimes not even adding their first name or any personal information in their profile, (which members of the public can't see).

Mercifully, this forum is effectively moderated, unlike some, which claim to be but aren't.

It's also devoid of what - in some circles - are know as 'roost rulers' and 'tall poppies'.

I'm a member of a supposedly 'moderated' forum connected with metalwork, cabinet-making, woodturning and the like, with many highly skilled professionals and hobbyists among its membership. Off topic threads are allowed and consequently, it's presently bloated with threads about Brexit, the pandemic, the vaccination programme, what happened on Capitol Hill, the US election, off colour humour, and people quite unable to disagree about anything without being disagreeable. (All in the public domain, to be seen by non-members the world over). Some members are from other countries - I can't imagine what they think when they read that stuff.

Before too long, valued members leave or rarely post, so what could, and should, be a metalworking, cabinet making, woodworking forum is little more than an 'echo chamber' where sociopaths bounce their egos off the wall. Any attempts to 'level up' are greeted with 'you don't have to read it if you don't want to'.

In contrast, in a troubled world, this forum is a refuge from that sort of nonsense and the rules, the manner of their application, the moderation and the ethos which has developed over the eighteen years since its inception, has stood the test of time and serves us well.

Not having a pop at anyone, just saying...
Old 16th Feb 2021, 5:51 pm   #3
stitch1
Heptode

Default Re: Forum Facebook page.

Sorry by 'this group' I meant the Facebook page, I'm not asking about this forum, it was just about the Facebook page being public when others (e.g. VRAT) are private.
I'm more than happy for the public to see my posts on the forum or Facebook page but in Facebook it means 'friends' are notified and they appear in their News Feeds.
No agenda, just curious that’s all.

John
Old 16th Feb 2021, 5:53 pm   #4
Station X

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
This isn't a 'group' it's a 'forum'.
See here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=38089

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 16th Feb 2021, 6:02 pm   #5
paulsherwin

To be clear, although the Facebook page is loosely associated with this forum, the forum mods have no direct involvement with it. It was created by Paul Stenning to provide a resource for those people who prefer the 'social media' way of doing things.
Old 16th Feb 2021, 7:12 pm   #6
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Possibly the forum is public because we have nothing to hide and plenty of good stuff to share.
Correct me if wrong, although knowing me, I may have phrased it wrongly.
Old 16th Feb 2021, 7:12 pm   #7
emeritus
Dekatron

I doubt I would have found this forum had it been "members only".

I would like to add a word of appreciation to the moderators for keeping posts and topics to the point. Another (non-electronics) forum I subscribe to is very loosely moderated, resulting in many long rambling threads with occasional bursts of extended slanging matches that I am sure would never be tolerated here.

Last edited by emeritus; 16th Feb 2021 at 7:14 pm. Reason: Typos
Old 16th Feb 2021, 7:37 pm   #8
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

My words entirely Emeritus as I have mentioned before gratitude to the moderators of this excellent forum.

We never have had and certainly do not want slanging matches, thankfully they would be rapidly terminated if indeed anything got out of hand.
Old 16th Feb 2021, 8:11 pm   #9
stitch1
Heptode

Again ... this question is not about the forum it’s about the Facebook group.

If there isn’t an answer that’s ok it was just a query so happy to close rather than let it drift.

John
Old 16th Feb 2021, 9:20 pm   #10
sortedradio
Heptode

Hi John, have you asked the question on the Facebook groups page?
Old 16th Feb 2021, 9:28 pm   #11
stitch1
Heptode

No because thats the point if I post there it is shared accross all my 'friends' news feeds, not that I want to hide anything just don't want to clutter their life with my ramblings.

As Paul said probably only Paul Stenning can answer and I expect there's a good reason.

John
Old 16th Feb 2021, 10:23 pm   #12
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Things you post in a Facebook group shouldn’t show on your friends Facebook feeds, only on the feeds of other people in the group. That is how Facebook groups work.

The original purpose of the Facebook group was to publicise the forum which is why it is set to public viewing. It actually has a lot of separate discussions and tends to have more photos and less detailed discussions than here.

I think a public group can be changed to private, but not the other way so it’s a one way change. Nobody has requested it over the several years it has existed so I see no reason to change it.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 16th Feb 2021, 10:43 pm   #13
stitch1
Heptode

Thanks Paul, all I could find on line was people complaining about public groups doing this but maybe it’s not true or has changed, I’ll try it and see.

I’m not asking for anything to be changed.

John
Old 17th Feb 2021, 5:29 pm   #14
Paul Stenning
Administrator

With Facebook we never really know what it shows where or why etc.

Making a post in the group then asking some friends (via Messenger or something) if it shows in their feeds over the next few days is the best option. Please report back here in due course with the outcome.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 18th Feb 2021, 3:20 pm   #15
stitch1
Heptode

I added a post to the Face Book page yesterday and I asked a few people to look for it in their news feeds and so far they've not seen anything. So it looks like it was fake news or FB did actually make a change to how Public groups work.

Thanks

John
Closed Thread