UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jan 2004, 6:48 pm   #1
joe
Rest in Peace

Default TV programme about Marconi

On BBC2 there is a series called " Days that shook the world " and this Wednesday, 21st January, the subject is Marconi's first transatlantic message. Its on at 7pm.
Having read Gordon Bussey's book this might be an informative half hour.

Joe
Old 21st Jan 2004, 7:52 pm   #2
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: TV programme about Marconi

I have it on video. I could possibly arrange a DVD copy if anyone missed it (and if I can get the video capture stuff to work...).

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 21st Jan 2004, 9:34 pm   #3
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Hello there,
I saw most of it by chance and I thought it was very good. I thought the reconstruction was very well detailed especially the equipment shown.
Is the transmitter house still in existance with the original equipment fitted ? as I would like to visit it if it is open to the public. Well done the BBC.
There is a similar programme on tomorrow(Thursday) on Concorde.
Christopher Capener
Old 21st Jan 2004, 10:02 pm   #4
Duke_Nukem
Octode

I just managed to catch it and am DVD'ing it tomorrow - as it is only half hour I'll also try an SVCD version, see what the quality is like.

Fairly interesting program but perhaps just a little too untechnical.

TTFN,
Jon
Old 22nd Jan 2004, 12:33 am   #5
wireless_paul
Hexode

Location: World Heritage Village of Saltaire, Shipley, West Riding of Yorkshire.

There is a 78 record called " The Birth of Radio " . Wondered if any other forum member had heard it. I first heard it 40+ years ago.
Paul E
Old 22nd Jan 2004, 8:47 pm   #6
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I have recorded it to an AVI file and converted it to a DVD-format MPEG file, but not actually written it to DVD yet. That'll be done this evening. Assuming it works OK (it's the first time I've tried doing this), I will be able to make copies for those who missed it. Watch this space.

My partner was watching the programme while I was ecording it to the PC, and he found it very interesting too. He is not especially interested in radio history, so I think the BBC got the balance right. Some of his work colleagues also watched and enjoyed it.

Paul Stenning
Old 23rd Jan 2004, 10:06 pm   #7
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I'm getting nowhere slowly with my video capture and DVD writer software. After two days faffing around I ended up with an over-bright grainy jerky DVD - even though the video capture said there were no dropped frames amd the AVI file plays OK. This home DVD lark is clearly still in its infancy! I haven't got the time and inclination to mess around with it any further.

If Jon can get a decent DVD recording and would care to send me a copy I will be happy to make duplicates as with the Baird programme.

I think I'll keep my copy on VHS!

Paul Stenning
Old 24th Jan 2004, 8:46 pm   #8
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Hi Paul,

I'll sort out a disk as soon as a slot becomes available at w*rk - most thoughtless of them to use w*rks equipment for w*rk purposes .

You still can't beat good old analogue, be that VHS or audio cassette ... that's not just " vintage " bias, it's just at least you've then got a recording with which to have several bashes at converting to digital.

TTFN,
Jon
Old 24th Jan 2004, 10:07 pm   #9
reelguy
Heptode

The birth of radio. I have a 78 of that somewhere. Bought it for sixpence in Blacklers in Liverpool early 60s I think. I'll have to dig it out and have a listen and try and copy it to CD. I missed the prog about Marconi, Thought it was on Wednesday night. Maybe they will repeat it hopefully. Peter

Last edited by Jeremy M0RVB; 2nd Jan 2005 at 12:42 am.
Old 24th Jan 2004, 10:24 pm   #10
Paul Stenning
Administrator

According to the BBC2 website programme listings at http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/listings...ervice_id=4224 they seem to be repeating some of them late night some days (1:00 and 1:30 on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays). So maybe it will come around again! The repeats seem to be a week or two behind the first plays.

Paul Stenning
Old 24th Jan 2004, 11:47 pm   #11
reelguy
Heptode

Thanks Paul. I'll keep my eyes open. !!! Peter
Closed Thread