UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jan 2007, 12:24 am   #1
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Smile "Magnets, Bulbs and Batteries" Ladybird book

In a former What got you interested in radio/electronics ? thread, several people mentioned the Ladybird book "Magnets, Bulbs and Batteries". I have now bought a copy on eBay, scanned it to a PDF file and uploaded it to the documents section of my Vintage Radio Info website - it's the last link in the first section. It's quite large (9.23MB) unfortunately, as I had to scan it all in colour (at 150DPI).

The book was first published in 1962 and is no longer available.

It shows its age in the style of the illustrations - all painted (no photographs) with good clear detail. The brother and sister are both blond haired, blue eyed, wear shirts and ties, and get on fine with other. All very quaint and ideal.

Some of the content of the book would not be acceptable now - things like encouraging kids to dismantle batteries to see how they are made or using copper sulphate for electroplating, without a word of warning or even advice to have an adult supervising. We it survived though!

Anyway, enjoy a trip down memory lane!

(Note that this is a children's book, intended for age-range of perhaps 8 to 12)

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Closed Thread