UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Oct 2021, 4:59 pm   #1
Simon27
Diode

Default Deccasound Compact 3 restoration

Hi

Very new to this world, I have acquired a Deccasound Compact 3 which looks in excellent condition, but not working in that the deck is stuck and there does not appear to be any output to the speakers. Though after looking inside speaker boxes the speakers have deteriorated .

There is power to the deck and one of the lights on the radio display is lit.

I would like to treat this as a personal challenge to get working again, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Where do I get display bulbs(there tiny) and fuses etc....?

in anticipation

Regards Simon
Old 12th Dec 2021, 1:25 pm   #2
Cobaltblue

Default Re: Deccasound Compact 3 restoration

This has now been moved to the correct section

Cheers

Mike T
Old 12th Dec 2021, 3:05 pm   #3
PaulR
Dekatron

Hello Simon and welcome to the forum.

I think that the first thing to do is to ascertain just how much of it is working.

You say that the speakers have deteriorated. Can you elaborate on that? The suspension of some speakers deteriorates with age but I doubt that yours are of that type. Can you supply photos of the deterioration?

The record deck is probably gummed up with solidified grease. This will need to be cleaned off and new lubrication applied. There are various threads about this, but this might start you off https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=36009 Obviously make sure the unit is unplugged before delving!

Concern yourself with bulbs once it is working!
Old 12th Dec 2021, 5:05 pm   #4
John10b
Nonode

Hi Simon welcome.
Further to the advice you have already been given by PaulR, please tell us if the Radio section is working.
I don’t have the circuit for this Radiogram (RG), but I did a search and it seems to be a Transistorised RG, and rather difficult to work on. If possible take pictures and let’s have a look. You could also look in the Search section of this forum, there has been a lot of correspondence relating to this RG.
John
Old 12th Dec 2021, 6:34 pm   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The BSR C series deck in this should be an easy fix with the Link already provided. The original speakers were always the weak link in this unit as they are so very small. If these do need new replacement drive units, you night find it as cheap to buy a better pair of used, larger speakers which will greatly transform the overall sound of this. We can advise as to this.
Old 13th Dec 2021, 3:00 pm   #6
Robint 47
Tetrode

Compact is a generic term used by Decca to define and give correct advice the actual model no (on a plate on the rear of the unit begins AT or DS followed by a 4 figure number beginning with a 5 must be given . I have posted breakdowns of these models on previous posts.

Regards Robin
Closed Thread