UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Sep 2021, 10:14 pm   #1
Cre8anet
Pentode

Default Application?? Mystery Mini AC induction motor

Hi Folks,
Any ideas where this tiny ac motor came from?
It runs on only 6V a few 10s of mW ..but very low torque. It had a worm drive fitted so obviously geared right down.
Clock? Timer?… But why low AC V??
Found with various 50s / 60s kit.

Suggestions welcome!
Cheers,

Cre8anet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4039E7D3-2C42-432E-BD88-F26E945C9C97.jpeg
Views:	259
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	240480  
Old 2nd Sep 2021, 3:01 am   #2
broadgage
Nonode

Default Re: Application?? Mystery Mini AC induction motor

Possibly to operate a flap or damper for controlling air flow in an air conditioning system. Somewhat similar units are still used today, but more commonly in 24 volts AC.

Or perhaps to actuate a valve for heating or cooling control, again still made today but for 24 volts AC.

Or even to drive a number of mechanical cams that operate microswitches in a sequence. Used to control advertising signs in which differing parts are lit in sequence.

Or for other processes that require a controlled sequence, e.g. industrial laundry machinery, agitate clockwise for 2 minutes, then anti clockwise for 2 minutes, repeat this four times for a 16 minute wash cycle, then run drain pump for one minute, then spin for six minutes, for example.

Or to start a number of large electric motors in sequence, either to limit starting current, or for other reasons such as a large conveyor system.
Old 2nd Sep 2021, 11:45 am   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

It looks rather too expensively well-engineered to be something from a piece of consumer-gear; I'd suspect it had a professional use - something like driving a capacitor or roller-coaster in a 'remote' antenna tuner?
Old 2nd Sep 2021, 12:06 pm   #4
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Extra-low voltage motors are cheaper and more robust than mains voltage due to the much shorter, heavier-gauge winding. There is often an advantage to avoiding having mains voltage on control contacts if the rest of the system is ELV and a suitable voltage is already available. So pinball gameplay camswitches, jukebox selector and accumulator drives etc can usefully run from the auxiliary supply e.g. 24V AC. I could see your motor rotating a colour wheel or something that requires near zero torque.
Old 2nd Sep 2021, 5:08 pm   #5
Cre8anet
Pentode

Jolly good stuff - thank you all.
Yes, it is quite possible 24 VAC .. I tried ramping up the volts a bit.. but without the worm and gearing, the pole-sync gets a bit chaotic and it seems to stall / reverse.
(..was some old electricity meter kit with it... but I can't see that being low-VAC).
Old 2nd Sep 2021, 11:00 pm   #6
McMurdo
Dekatron

is it definitely a motor, or just something that acts like one when you power it? Maybe out of a large electric clock? Or a rotary solenoid? Mercury switch actuator from a power-factor correction circuit? A motor with very little torque seems pretty useless to me!
Old 2nd Sep 2021, 11:48 pm   #7
Red to black
Nonode

Some ELV low torque motors were used in various different makers/ point of sale shop signs etc, the colour wheel for such things has already been mentioned in a previous post.

I know we had a Toshiba sign that covered/uncovered various fibre optics that made the Toshiba sign lights look like it was sweeping left to right, a bit like a modern day Christmas tree type thing.