UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Aug 2021, 12:39 pm   #1
greg_simons
Octode

Default Help and advice to renovate a cardboard rear cover

Just obtained the rear cover for the 2000 project, it's all there but scuffed and ragged round in places, any hints for restoring the strength to old cardboard would be appreciated as would what to restore the black colouring, plus the usual dry places where the hot components were underneath it.
Greg.
Old 12th Aug 2021, 4:58 pm   #2
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Re: Help and advice to renovate a cardboard rear cover

I have used PVA glue to restore the strength of back covers and to let in patches . I keep some old bits for patching. The exception is in areas that get really hot like the top part of a DAC90 near the dropper, then two pack glue is better but harder to work with.
I use a light coat of satin black or Rio brown depending on the original colour. It is important to apply very dry light coats. I warm the can and then dust the paint over the area outside on a warm day. To hold the pieces in place and to add strength thick paper or thin card can be glued on the reverse then dusted over with paint when finished.
If the set is 25" it should be fairly well ventilated so heat shouldn't be too much of a problem. (This is assuming the 2000 project is a Thorn T.V).
Rich
Old 12th Aug 2021, 9:12 pm   #3
greg_simons
Octode

Default Re: Help and advice to renovate a cardboard rear cover

Thanks rich
Yes indeed it's the dreaded 2k, finally looking something like a tv again, good advice from you which will be very useful, especially what paint to use.
Greg.