UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Dec 2012, 4:50 pm   #1
AndyWright
Tetrode

Default AR88 block paper capacitor connections

Hi
I need to replace the block paper capacitor on one of my AR88's as it dumped all of its oil over the bench.

There are 5 terminals on the underside. How do these correspond to the 3 capacitors within the block?

Thanks

Andy G4OJY
Old 26th Dec 2012, 4:54 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: AR88 block paper capacitor connections

Can you be more specific please. Component designations for example?

The bath tub capacitors generally have one terminal for each capacitor and a common return via the casing.

Perhaps you're talking about the smoothing capacitors?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 26th Dec 2012, 4:57 pm   #3
AndyWright
Tetrode

Hi

yes I'm referring to the power supply smoothing capacitor. It has 4 terminals at each corner of a rectangle and one in the centre.

Andy
Old 26th Dec 2012, 6:21 pm   #4
Station X

That's C96, C97 and C98. You should be able to work it out by checking the wiring against the circuit diagram.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 26th Dec 2012, 6:25 pm   #5
turretslug
Dekatron

Hi Andy,

Wisely and cunningly, RCA arranged that the rotationally symmetrical connections could be turned through 180 degrees when replacing this non-polarised multi-capacitor. Thus:

Centre terminal = Junction of C96, 97.

Diagonally opposite terminals= Other (seperate) ends of C96, C97.

Remaining terminals= C98 terminals. (One of these has a short wire link to chassis).

I (and no doubt others) have posted replacement options for substituting this multi-block on the forum- I opted for fitting modern components (630V polyester) in the original tin. Whatever you opt for, bear in mind that the HT floats scarily high (approaching 500V) in the "TRANS" position of the mode switch,

Colin.
Old 26th Dec 2012, 6:48 pm   #6
AndyWright
Tetrode

Thanks Colin that's exactly the info I needed. I intend to replace with some high voltage polyester capacitors I've got, I'm not sure yet if they will go in the original can, or on a PCB board, it depends how difficult it is to get the can apart.

Cheers,

Andy
Old 27th Dec 2012, 11:16 am   #7
RobinBirch
Hexode

The can comes apart relatively easily so long as you've got a small blowlamp or a tinman's soldering iron, say 150 Watt.

There are three cells IIRC in the capacitor which are in separate metal chambers. Drill a number of holes in the bottom and leave it stand in a bucket or on a tray for a long time to let as much of the oil drain out as you can.

Do it outside and keep well clear of the fumes from the oil. Use gloves.

Clean the whole thing up (remember the gloves, especially if you are sensitive to oils). Put back together with new components and solder back together.

Clean up and paint slate grey.

Robin
Old 27th Dec 2012, 9:34 pm   #8
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Be careful: unless you have solid evidence to the contrary you should assume that the "oil" is one based on Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs).

Known to be carcinogenic and likely to trigger a number of skin-complaints (e.g. "Chloracne") if I came across an oil-leaking capacitor in my professional capacity I'd be calling in the professionals to dispose of it and provide me with the relevant certificates saying they'd done so in accordance with the relevant regulations.

Whether you choose to take such precautions in a 'domestic' situation, well, it's up to you - but I intend to live to over-100 and grow old disgracefully, so choose to minimise my exposure to known risk-materials.
Closed Thread