UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Oct 2012, 11:29 am   #1
BrianS1
Retired Dormant Member

Default RA17L oscillator coil required.

It's a long story, but after trying to repair what appeared to be a faulty 1MHz oscillator coil I now need a replacement. I don't know if I could rewind the coil, it appears to be wound with an 8 strand litz type wire but as I am not sure of the dc resistance of the coil I am now very much in struggle mode, even if I could find a supplier of a small enough quantity of litz wire. I have found what appears to be the type of winding ie. basket but I am not sure if this gets me any further down the road.
My RA17L as I reported quite some time ago was virtually dead on switch on after several years of storage and since then I've replaced most of the Hunts caps and have been replacing resistors that have gone high value. Before the coil situation the set was only receiving on 1-2 MHz band and wideband.
Brian
Old 12th Oct 2012, 6:02 pm   #2
Keith
Heptode

Default Re: Ra17l oscillator coil

Hi Brian,

As it's a crystal oscilator, I wouldn't have thought the construction of the coil was too critical. There seem to be a number of Ebay sellers selling Litz wire as it seems to be used in tone arms on record decks. I doubt if the number of strands is too important. I would think you could just pile wind the coil - you should get a feel for the number of turns from the old one (although someone on here will doubtless have the correct information).
Old 12th Oct 2012, 7:24 pm   #3
vosperd
Hexode

Is this L2?
Don't have one of those but I might have one for the 1mc/s oscillator in the MA79.
I see it has a different part number but perhaps someone might know if it will do.
You could try the RA17 Yahoo group if you haven't thought of that already.
Don m5aky
Old 30th Nov 2012, 10:39 pm   #4
BrianS1
Retired Dormant Member

I managed to buy some 8 strand/46awg litz wire on ebay and have rewound the oscillator coil by hand securing the strands as I wound with supaglue. I think it was around 12 feet of wire to give the dc resistance required. I didn't worry too much about basket weaving as the word was that this is not too important but did try to cross windings as near to 90 degrees as I could.The oscillator is now working but I havn't looked at the waveform.

Brian
Closed Thread