UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jun 2021, 5:14 pm   #1
wireless_john
Heptode

Default Tyne Tees Television outside broadcast vehicle.

For those of you interested in this sort of thing, I spotted this van in a village called Harby just outside Lincoln. (Birkitts is still going BTW!)

Unfortunately, there was no one around to talk too but it looked in good condition on the outside. On the side, it says, Tyne Tees Mobile Television Control Room.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TyneTees1.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	235522   Click image for larger version

Name:	TyneTees2.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	235523  
Old 6th Jun 2021, 5:45 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Tyne Tees Television

That I believe belongs to P.Marshall. PS a member of the forum.
Old 6th Jun 2021, 5:53 pm   #3
wireless_john
Heptode

I did wonder if it belonged to a member!

John
Old 8th Jun 2021, 7:07 pm   #4
PaulM
Hexode

Hello John,

She's actually one of the 'Yorkshire Television' twins - as supplied by Marconi at the launch of Yorkshire Television in 1968. It's a long story how she became 'Tyne Tees' but it was actually due to a Yorkshire Television production called 'The Royal'. Tyne Tees had a very similar truck back in the day.

There's actually 3 OB trucks here - YTTTV as we call that one - along with Project Vivat (the 1953 Marconi BBC OB truck reconstruction project) and 'Southern Television' both inside the large barn adjacent. There's a huge amount of old broadcast kit here with as much as possible operational - including the trucks and their contents. Have a look at our website here: www.becg.tv

Another long story, but we're hoping to gather everything together under one roof and be able to show the public round on 'open days'. In the meantime, anyone can contact me in advance and I will try to show people round if at all possible. Normally the trucks go out to shows, but that - of course - has not been possible . . .

Thanks for your interest.

Best regards,

Paul Marshall
Chairman
Broadcast Engineering Conservation Group (BECG)
www.becg.tv

Partner
Golden Age TV LLP
www.golden-agetv.co.uk
Old 8th Jun 2021, 9:48 pm   #5
wireless_john
Heptode

That's very interesting, thank you for your reply Paul.

We were walking to the pub in Harby when I saw it. Lovely pub and village!

John.
Old 9th Jun 2021, 11:02 am   #6
jayceebee
Heptode

Probably passed this many times outside Roker Park in Sunderland on Fridays and Saturdays recording for “Shoot” shown on Sunday afternoons.

John.
Old 9th Jun 2021, 1:39 pm   #7
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Re: Tyne Tees Television outside broadcast vehicle.

The OB truck you have seen looks very much like the one that spent some time as a camper van before being restored.
The Southern one retains more of the coachwork styling of the vehicle chassis it was built on.
Old 11th Jun 2021, 5:12 am   #8
its ur aerial
Hexode

Paul,
well done I am very, very impressed and would love to have a look one day.

Ken, G6HZG.
Old 11th Jun 2021, 8:34 pm   #9
PaulM
Hexode

Hello All,

If I may respond to 3 in 1

John, this is the YTV 'version' of the TTTV truck. Theirs was similar - and also a Marconi with 4X Marconi MkVIIs which covered the visit of US President Jimmy Carter. It was all Yorkshire TV's fault that we wound up as Tyne Tees, but I don't regret it. 'Tyne Tees' seems to make people from the region smile as it's remembered with affection. That's nice.

Refugee, it's the standard Marconi OB truck of the period and exported all over the world (except to the BBC - nuff said). YTTTV is based on a Bedford KML lorry chassis, the old 'camper van' one is - like 'Southern' - based on a Bedford VAL twin steer coach chassis. The 'camper' van is actually quite a truck and is a work in progress. For more details see: https://becg.org.uk/projects/abc-thames/

Ken, many thanks for the comments - it's much appreciated. This has all been done from empty vehicle to working truck with no external money other than a few beans from the Golden Age TV operation and some support for YTTTV's paint job. 'Southern' is the one for your old ITV region, of course, and she did venture over to the Isle of Wight from time to time. See: https://becg.org.uk/projects/southern-television/

Interestingly, the 'camper van' ABC-Thames truck was on the Isle of Wight for many years when it was said 'camper van'. You're very welcome to visit. We did venture back down there to Southampton for a Southern TV reunion - what a show that was!

I hope that the mods will be OK with this - I know it's wandered off to vehicles, but they are unique TV vehicles which have had a vast amount of time spent on them and done entirely without financial support.

The big question is what happens in the (hopefully) very long term? BECG is the relatively new umbrella organisation drawing many of the principal surviving trucks together. I can't say too much right now, but we are planning for long-term survival and public viewing (from time to time). We also need to pass on the skills associated with the analogue TV kit - particularly cameras, VTR and telecine - and this is where we hope to score some brownie points with potential supporters!

Thanks for the opportunity to put across some of what we do now as BECG - it's a tough ride at times - but I won't bore you with that!

Best regards,

Paul Marshall
Old 11th Jun 2021, 9:59 pm   #10
jayceebee
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulM View Post
Hello All,

John, this is the YTV 'version' of the TTTV truck.
Paul Marshall

Thanks Paul, of course if I had taken the time and looked closer at the reg plate "UB" gives it away as Leeds. The genuine Tyne Tees vehicle would most likely have been BB or VK. You're also correct how well loved the channel was up here and the recent bad news about Bill Steel was sad. Hearing the Three Rivers Fantasy can bring a tear to my eye.

John.
Old 12th Jun 2021, 1:19 am   #11
Radio Wrangler

As you said, Paul, it's all very much work in progress, and if the goal is to be able to tour the country with the van fully equipped with cameras and equipment of the period, to display it to the public... working even! then it will extend understanding of vintage TV. Fully laudable to my thinking. This isn't the place for getting down and dirty with the greasy bits, but the electronic bits and overall operation seem to be a good fit for the forum.

David
Old 12th Jun 2021, 9:18 am   #12
PaulM
Hexode

Hello David,

Touring the country is not the plan - the vehicles (and the kit!) - are too old to be doing that on a regular basis. So too are we! Yes, they will still occasionally go out (once Covid is done) but for the long term it's about bricks and mortar. I can't say anymore at the moment.

There's only a few dozen people in the UK with old broadcast cameras/monitors/telecines/VTR/trucks and the significant kit was only made in the hundreds. Given attrition of numbers due the scrappage and bad storage, we're typically down to between zero and a few dozen at the most survivors of a given type. It's also very large, very heavy and not user friendly.

One huge gap is TV transmitters - my original professional work - there's as good as nothing left in the UK other than the 1936 Marconi-EMI final stage in the Science Museum (no longer on display), a couple of relatively low power 500W units and a lot of odds and ends. The rest has gone for scrap.

There is no natural home online for this TV kit - despite there being a following in the USA and parts of Europe. The occasional mention on here is good and we're grateful.

It's a lot bigger than just trucks!

Best regards,

Paul M
Old 13th Jun 2021, 1:33 pm   #13
standing wave
Pentode

On the subject of lack of analogue TV transmitters I wonder what happened to the Channel 4, Sudbury TX which was on display in an art gallery on the Mall in London at the time of analogue switch off. It was pretty much complete. I would have hoped it would have been donated to a museum. Attached are a few pictures taken at the exhibition.
Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TX1.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	235833   Click image for larger version

Name:	TX2.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	235834   Click image for larger version

Name:	TX3.jpg