UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jun 2021, 4:33 pm   #21
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Odd gm readings when testing valves. Maybe 42 isn't the answer to this one?

I'm not sure the term 'super valve' is appropriate. I suspect they're on the way to being crappy thyratrons.

David
Old 7th Jun 2021, 4:41 pm   #22
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Odd gm readings when testing valves. Maybe 42 isn't the answer to this one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevalveset View Post
Now to the second valve, the TH233
Triode section should give an Ia of 4mA @ 0V grid, it gave Ia=20mA
If that's at Va = 100 volts then 20mA is low according to the manufactures valve data.

Lawrence.
Old 7th Jun 2021, 4:56 pm   #23
PJL
Dekatron

Where did you get the test figures for the TH233?
These are the AVO test which uses AC:
Triode Va=100, Vg=-2, Ia=4mA
Hexode Va=150, Vs=100, Vg=-2, Ia=2.6mA

The Mullard HSVT which tests under DC conditions:
Triode Va=98.81, Vg=-5.31, Ia=2.5mA minimum, typical 5mA
Hexode Va=98.65, Vs=100.04, Vg=-3.04, Ia=3.35mA minimum, typical 6.7mA

The AVO uses AC for testing and the figures are what to expect from an AVO and may not match the valve specification, http://www.r-type.org/pdfs/th2321.pdf.
The HSVT uses DC so should reflect the specification. The figures here are created from my emulator as the instrument only shows red/amber/green.
Old 8th Jun 2021, 6:32 am   #24
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

I've had this too with 807's and other OP valves, the odd one tests way over spec for emission but responds as per normal.

Andy.