UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 17th May 2021, 12:20 am   #1
pertinax

Default Direct-Dial into PABX1

Hello All! just joined the group,
does anyone have a dtmf to pulse converter? or even a cct diagram for one? I am currently building a relay set to enable incoming BT-Line calls to direct dial into my PABX1
I am told the Post Office/BT had what was known as the 43A converter but these seem to be quite rare now.
Regards Nick
Old 19th May 2021, 9:32 pm   #2
els1967
Pentode

Default Re: Direct-Dial into PABX1

I've done some work in this area but never a DTMF to pulse converter. I've never heard of one being commercially available either.

If it was me I would be looking at some sort of Data Access Arrangement to interface to the public line then using some sort of micro controller (Arduino is very good for this kind of thing) to interface in to a DTMF chip that can decode DTMF signals and pass them onto some sort of relay on the PABX1 side that can generate the pulses. It certainly wouldn't be a trivial project - many skills would be required not least a good understanding of the C programming language. Also a bit of a head scratch would be needed to get the things to recognize a ring-up tone and answer the call automatically to connect to the PABX1.
Old 19th May 2021, 10:03 pm   #3
Dave Moll
Dekatron

There was a similar discussion on the (members-only) Telecommunications Heritage Group forum, but the only reference I can find to anything at all commercial is http://beefchicken.com/comms/atctonepulse.
Old 20th May 2021, 9:58 pm   #4
AndiiT
Octode

Hi, you could exploit a Mitel Smart 1 dialler.
They occasionally crop up on eBay (sadly I can only see ones in America at present) and can do tone to pulse or pulse to tone conversion, setting them up is done using a standard DTMF phone and I'm sure that the manual is available somewhere online.

Regards

Andrew
Old 20th May 2021, 10:15 pm   #5
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

You beat me to it Andrew, I just got mine out to try, and reminded myself how to programme it.

*0#
100 0 (for port 1)

I reckon there will be loads of redundant Smart1 boxes screwed to the walls of factories and offices if only we knew where to look.

Some small PABXs could convert that way, the Panasonic KXT, "A" series, probably many more.

Ian Jolly is the expert on those converters used in the exchanges.

Last edited by Graham G3ZVT; 20th May 2021 at 10:26 pm.
Closed Thread