UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 10th May 2021, 3:18 pm   #1
PsychMan
Octode

Default Bambino Clock Radio movement question

Hello Folks,

I have what I believe it’s a 60s transistor radio alarm clock, with windup movement.

Branded “Bambino” Model CTR 160.

I got the back off the movement to see about oiling the pivots, and when I pulled the black cover off, a white plastic piece with a spring piece of copper popped out. It’s clearly playing some role in the alarm setting, as currently it seems to jam and not release the alarm properly when it triggers.

Currently trying to work out where it goes, in the mean time, any ideas?!

Cheers
Adam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EBAF9404-3B0E-481B-B0C6-07CBB7881E20.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	233716   Click image for larger version

Name:	4762527B-9C97-4374-AFA1-F3A056B0C3E5.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	233717   Click image for larger version

Name:	1172B748-0B65-476C-8ED9-E9C66BAFC536.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	233718  
Old 10th May 2021, 3:54 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Bambino Clock Radio movement question

Hi Adam,

To me, that looks like a way of coupling the rate adjustment lever by the balance wheel to the outside world, i.e. where the user could insert a screwdriver and twiddle if the clock were tending to run too slow or fast.

I think it should sit over the big, silver, slotted screw, with its extension lying on top of and engaging with the aforementioned lever (all in the top right on your first pic). The copper spider spring then drops over it, keeping it held in the right position when the back is fitted and stopping it rattle about. The bit with the screwdriver slot should poke through a hole in the back.

Could you post a picture of both sides of the back, please?

Sorry, I think the alarm fault is a separate issue.

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 10th May 2021 at 4:01 pm.
Old 10th May 2021, 4:13 pm   #3
duncanlowe
Nonode

My thoughts are exactly the same as Nick. First thought was an adjuster, you see similar for zeroing pointers on meters.
Old 10th May 2021, 4:35 pm   #4
PsychMan
Octode

Yes I’ve just worked that out, 100% correct! It’s for the rate adjustment the way it fell out of the plastic case got me thinking it was part of the alarm

Contrary to what I said earlier, the alarm I think actuates the switch OK. But the alarm knob only moves one way. I’m thinking back to other clocks now, and actually this is normal isn’t it? I.e alarm set at 2pm, time is 4:30, I can’t rotate the alarm forwards to set it at 6pm, it needs to go back round.

So in actual fact, maybe there’s nothing wrong with this at all

I’ve oiled the pivots the best my clumsy hands can manage. Will post some pics shortly.

The radio side is dead as a door nail, the odd whistle here and there. 6 Sanyo transistors inside, and a few low value electrolytics I’ll want to test
Old 10th May 2021, 6:55 pm   #5
duncanlowe
Nonode

Yes, in my experience the alarm can only move one way, but that was always forward rather than backwards.
Closed Thread