UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 15th May 2021, 2:51 pm   #1
bobhowe
Heptode

Default Bush DAC90A Strange Fault

Got a Bush DAC90A off a forum member about 8 years ago changed all the dodgy waxies few resistors and got a auto transformer of Ed Dinning ( done a great job ) . The radio works ok but it had 2 faults 1 is background hum & another fault i would crackle and go silent tap the radio and it would play again so yesterday i read about removing the connection on pin 4 on the UL41 valve so i removed the connection & no mains hum i had the chassis out of the cabinet & upside down & it was playing great for over a hour . So i put the chassis back in the cabinet & guess what ? after 10 mins it went silent had checked for dry joints and valve pin connections the only thing i had done apart from removing pin 4 connection was to remove the UL41 valve to count the pins so went to check that the valve was in ifs socket properly then i found the fault a piece of metal inside the valve shorting round the pins turned the set upside down the set played with out giong silent
Old 16th May 2021, 10:16 am   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush DAC90A Strange Fault

Find a set using a UL41 mounted sideways or upside down (maybe a record player?), do a swap and you could be your own uncle

Could the debris be persuaded to sit on the top mica, out of the way?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 16th May 2021, 2:08 pm   #3
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush DAC90A Strange Fault

Well found. Just put a replacement in, that's what I'd do.