UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Apr 2021, 4:53 pm   #1
Danday56
Triode

Default Watkins Dominator

Hi All
I am attempting to repair a 1960's Watkins Guitar amp, for a friend, simple 6 valve design.
it has a normal amp input which is working, it also has a tremolo input which runs through valve no 2, this is not working. Available circuit diagram is not particularly good. I've got a bit lost, anybody in the Essex area able to give me a hand please. Many Thanks.
Old 20th Apr 2021, 5:59 pm   #2
Kyri
Tetrode

Default Re: Watkins Dominator

Hi, this might be of some help, maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA1U5RwGxEM
Old 20th Apr 2021, 6:27 pm   #3
Alistair D
Nonode

You may be able to find a better schematic here

http://wem-owners.com/schematics/dominators/

Al
Old 20th Apr 2021, 6:37 pm   #4
Techman
Dekatron

Just to note on that video that he first calls the main smoothing capacitor a rectifier, or rectifier capacitor and then later on he gets confused again and points to the black earth wire going to the capacitor which he then refers to as a valve. I think he's just confused and probably does know what the parts are - hopefully!

This reminds me of another video I happened to see recently where some American guy was repairing a spring line reverb amp for someone who had supplied a supposedly good, but second hand spring line (or 'tank', as they like to call them) for the guy to fit. So he put his meter on the low ohms range and proceeded to measure the input transducer, he then went to the output transducer with the meter set on the same range and pronounced it dead! So at great expense (to the customer) he bought a brand new spring line unit, but just too demonstrate for the video he proceeded to measure both the input and output coils of the new unit to show the difference. I was waiting with bated breath for him to find the exact same open circuit output coil as the two old ones, but he went and used a different meter, some autoranging thing, I think...I could see the meter he used originally still on the bench and still set to the same low ohms range. I honestly don't know whether the guy was being deliberately devious or whether he simply didn't know what he was doing, so you have to be wary of some of these YouTube 'experts', although many of them are very good.

As for the OPs fault, as always, download the appropriate valve data and measure valve voltages around that particular valve, ie, DC voltages, not the AC heater voltage, and then go from there.
Old 21st Apr 2021, 6:23 am   #5
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

The tremelo is activated by a foot switch which you have to plug in for it to work. I fitted a switch on the back of mine, all it does is ground the oscillator valve.

Another mod is to fit a seperate on/off SW as these amps suffer from hum.

Andy.
Old 21st Apr 2021, 7:34 am   #6
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Although Charlie Watkins has been dead for 7 years, his potted history site is still up and running http://www.wemwatkins.co.uk/history.htm .

Although he didn't mention it, the iconic Pink Floyd at Pompeii video shows their row of WEM speakers behind.

When I was fixing a Dominator Bass for my son, Watkins was still alive and answered the phone when I called. Amazingly helpful guy. Now giving the choirs eternal a dose of hearing damage.

Craig
Old 8th Jun 2021, 7:11 pm   #7
Danday56
Triode

Hi

Thanks for the advice, got it all working now, but, if i plug a guitar in the tremelo side and the plug into the microphone side it is quite a bit louder. looking at the cct the input to the tremelo has resistors in cct, so i assume this difference is correct.
Old 8th Jun 2021, 9:21 pm   #8

I went to Chertsey Museum a couple of weeks ago, their special exhibition room had lots of WEM stuff in there. A small museum, worth a 20 mile trip in my opinion just to see that. Check first, they do change frequently.

Old 9th Jun 2021, 6:25 am   #9
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danday56 View Post
so I assume this difference is correct.
Yes.