UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Nov 2012, 6:33 pm   #1
G1RAO keith
Pentode

Question Pye Bantam

Hi all,

Just been offered a Pye Bantam for £45 in working order. It would need crystals to get it on two metres but I may just add it to my collection.

Is this a reasonable price for a bit of nostalgia?

Regards Keith.

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 26th Nov 2012 at 10:07 am. Reason: Typos.
Old 25th Nov 2012, 7:14 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Pye Bantam

From memory many of the Bantams were AM.

If you want people to talk to you need it to be a FM Bantam. If the one on offer is FM and covers the appropriate frequency-range I'd suggest £10 as a more realistic price.

Remember you're also going to need suitable crystals - these are not cheap (£20 each from someone like QSL) and batteries.

Getting them going could be fun - you have the AF11x/OC17x transistor whiskery-game to play.

G6Tanuki
Old 25th Nov 2012, 9:21 pm   #3

I would say 'if you want LOTS of people to talk to' AM is still used on 2m, but not much.

Old 26th Nov 2012, 12:19 am   #4
Dave757
Heptode

Hi Keith,

My first 2 metre set was one of these, and a lot of fun at the time. I think that they are more of a curiosity today, as they only had a half watt output, and as stated above, to crystal the calling channel on 145.500 plus another working channel would cost £50.

If you do intend to buy one for 2 metres FM, you need the Model HP1FM equipped for 'B' band (132-156MHz). Also make sure it has the battery box for 13 AA cells, as the optional sealed rechargeable pack will be useless due to age.

If you do decide to go ahead, I have a service manual for the FM version and could email you with scans of any info or circuits you might need.

Kind regards,

Dave G0ELJ
Old 26th Nov 2012, 2:07 pm   #5
G1RAO keith
Pentode

OK thanks everyone. The set is an AM one and from what you all say it sounds a bit over the top and not worth getting crystals for. I will see if I can get it for less and mention the battery/crystal problems. Thanks for all your help.

Regards, Keith.
Old 27th Nov 2012, 1:08 pm   #6
Sparky67
Heptode

AM Bantams were also made in the old P-band (79-101MHz?) which were used by both police and fire services. They will need a lot of work to get onto anything useable. More than a few Bantams were converted for use in gliders around 130 MHz too. £45 is a bit optimistic - £5 or maybe £10 more realistic Keith, assuming it has it's mic and telescopic antenna, and perhaps the carrying case, with it.

Last edited by Sparky67; 27th Nov 2012 at 1:14 pm.
Old 28th Nov 2012, 2:03 pm   #7
real2real
Retired Dormant Member

I have four of them, all AM, average price is around £10.00, crystals are going to cost you around £20-25 each for RX/TX, since the demise of McKnight crystals.

I have three on 4m AM and one on glider band.

Andy G3UEQ
Closed Thread