UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jun 2021, 1:28 pm   #1
Dorian27
Heptode

Default Pye p43

I have the above radio. But there is no sound what so ever. Not a crackle when changing frequency or use of volume nothing but a very low hum. I have changed valves all except EZ40 which I did not have all valves are glowing OK. Could it be the output transformer to the speaker. I have also tried another speaker. How do I test the speaker transformer please.
Old 11th Jun 2021, 3:46 pm   #2
Restoration73
Nonode

Default Re: Pye p43

Download ; Newnes Radio Repair Questions and Answers from this list;

https://www.vintage-radio.info/books

Answers are on p.64 of the pdf. The book is well worth studying.
Old 12th Jun 2021, 6:32 pm   #3
Station X

With a totally dead radio the best thing to do is check voltage readings and compare them with the service sheet. Start with the rectifier and then work backwards from the output stage towards the aerial. You'll soon see whether the primary winding of the output transformer is any good.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 13th Jun 2021, 9:24 pm   #4
kestrelmusic
Hexode

Start by getting the Trader sheet for this set (link at the top right hand corner of this page).

Unless you have one, get a multimeter which reads ohms and volts at least (£5 on ebay). Identify tags c, d and e of the output transformer and check them with the ohms range of your meter. d to c should be of the order of 15 ohms and d to e around 400 ohms. This is much the most likely source of faults.

If these figures are around the right level, switch your meter to a high DC volts range (250V or greater), switch the set on and measure the voltage between each of tags c, d and e and the chassis. WITH CARE!!! You should be getting readings around 200V. If any of these is much lower than this, suspect the reservoir/smoothing capacitors. If the voltage is at or near zero, the likeliest culprit is the mains transformer secondary.

It's unlikely to be a valve problem, these little chaps are very robust.
Closed Thread