UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jun 2021, 1:20 pm   #1
les24preludes
Triode

Default AVO 2 Panel - restoration ideas?

I have an AVO 2 Panel tester which doesn't work. Don't know why - meter lost magnetism or what. Before I open up the meter part I'm wondering what's the simplest fix. One easy solution it seems would be to use the panel part and make a basic emissions tester from scratch to connect to it. If so, what's the 9 pin connector - a B9G? Diameter of pins is 26mm in a straight circle.

Any ideas for a basic emissions tester, circuit etc? I have bench supplies at 30v/2A or 15v/4A for the heaters and grid bias. I could rig up a basic HT and use a 150v glow tube for instance. I'd use a multimeter to read off results. I only intend to measure smaller input tubes and maybe some outputs like 6L6, 6V6 etc. Nothing exotic or bigger.

Or if I open up the Meter unit, can I substitute a couple of test points for the meter and use a multimeter instead?
Old 11th Jun 2021, 1:49 pm   #2
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: AVO 2 Panel - restoration ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by les24preludes View Post
what's the 9 pin connector
B9 so far as I know.

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 11th Jun 2021 at 2:05 pm. Reason: additional info
Old 11th Jun 2021, 4:05 pm   #3
les24preludes
Triode

Thanks - I've ordered a B9 socket. Now I need to figure out an easy build for a way to test emissions.

ideas?
Old 12th Jun 2021, 6:50 am   #4
Electronpusher0
Nonode

The AVO 2 panel has the same horseshoe magnet as the AVO 7 and seems to suffer from loss of magnetism. I have tried re-magnetising the magnet and replacing it with a neobium magnet.
I reported my adventures here:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=165159

I have also breadboarded a digital meter replacement for the AVO 2 panel using peak detection and sample and hold, this works well on the bench on simulation, I am trying to find the main panel from a 2 panel AVO tester with a duff meter to fit it into.

see here:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...7&postcount=14

Peter
Closed Thread