UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jun 2021, 12:42 pm   #1
TIMTAPE
Octode

Default VCR mild horizontal picture oscillation possible causes

VCR's arent my strongest suit. I have been working on a Sony Betacam PVE 2800P pro recorder as pictured. After retrieving the pinch roller and shaft rattling around inside the deck and refitting it, and after a general clean and lube of the deck mechanism it basically works. Picture clean and strong, but there is a small gentle oscillation of the complete picture, left, right, left etc, at about 1 or 2 Hz, almost like an overshoot from an underdamped servo. It's more visible with no camera movement.

I've not seen this type of oscillation in consumer VCRs but if you have and have an idea as to what might have caused it there, it might be relevent to this VCR also.

I'm guessing in this oldish deck, capacitors, but in which area of the picture circuitry? Any ideas or tips appreciated.

Thanks,Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony PVE 2800P pic.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	235608  

Last edited by TIMTAPE; 8th Jun 2021 at 1:05 pm.
Old 12th Jun 2021, 6:04 am   #2
No.1 Labrat
Triode

Default Re: VCR mild horizontal picture oscillation possible causes

Hello.
While the machine is playing, press the pause/still button to get a still picture. I suspect that the problem will still be there. If it is, you have just eliminated most of the mechanism.

Without seeing the machine it sounds like the drum, motor, or servo are the most likely culprits.

Good luck.

Wayne.
Old 14th Jun 2021, 2:26 pm   #3
TIMTAPE
Octode

Default Re: VCR mild horizontal picture oscillation possible causes

Thanks for the tips on areas to check, Wayne.
Closed Thread