UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Old 9th May 2021, 4:18 pm   #21
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: "Master" Factory Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
If normality breaks out this summer, I'm likely to be down visiting the family sometime. I have a new great nephew I've never met. (Son of the nephew you have met, Bill)

Also sometime in the summer, I fancy heading up to the north east of Scotland and maybe right round the top and back down the west side.

So I could be able to fix the transport problem, assuming there's no hurry!

David
Hi David, Yes, it can reside peacefully in the garage indefinitely. Roll on Summer, it sounds to be hopeful!
Old 10th May 2021, 2:06 pm   #22
David Simpson
Nonode

Guys, 'Fraid I've had to decline Bill's big Master Clock. The chap who owns the IBM Slave says he just couldn't fit it in bungalow. And, even so, I'm 300 miles away in the north of Scotland.

Regards, David
David Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2021, 8:16 pm   #23
merlinmaxwell
Dekatron

It does take a bit of dedication to have and use a proper master / slave clock system at home. Please persevere with an electronic drive for this wonderful slave clock.
Old 11th May 2021, 8:45 am   #24
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

David,
Having got this far, are you not tempted to get a Master clock running for yourself? They are fascinating things to watch and work on.

Andy
M0FYA Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2021, 10:19 am   #25
David Simpson
Nonode

Right enough Andy, I was considering that, but just don't have the space. I already have enough vintage radios & test eq. cluttering shelves inside the house to stretch the patience of even the most amenable of wives. And my wee workshop/office(as those Forum guys who have visited will confirm) has no spare space whatsoever.
Certainly, this electro-mechanical aspect of vintage horology is fascinating. As I've learned in just the last week or so. Wish I'd learnt more about it years ago. But now, I've been on a bit of a downsizing effort for a couple of years. Big heavy stuff has been dispersed elsewhere. Mostly given to other Forum or ARS folk.

Regards, David
Old 11th May 2021, 10:37 am   #26
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Simpson View Post
And my wee workshop/office(as those Forum guys who have visited will confirm) has no spare space whatsoever.
You know those puzzles which are a grid of tiles, each with a letter on it, and only one missing from the grid....

David
Old 27th May 2021, 2:58 pm   #27
Pamphonica
Nonode

I've had a chat to David about the spec and have produced a small prototype pulsing module (on Veroboard). It gives out a 24V pulse, 4 seconds long, every 60 seconds via a small relay. It's driven from a crystal, and uses just 3 CMOS ICs. Total cost from the junkbox, plus the ICs, transformer etc is about 10-15.
I'll post details shortly in "Components and Circuits" in case its of use to anyone else.
The prototype will shortly be winging its way Northwards!
-Jeremy
Old 27th May 2021, 5:57 pm   #28
Pamphonica
Nonode

Actually, I think it might be best as a 1-page article for the BVWS "Bulletin". Keep an eye out for it. If you are not a BVWS member, I'll let you have a copy once it is published.
Please excuse the old-style mains wiring colours in the photo. It was the only bit I could find quickly to test it with!
-Jeremy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6815[1].jpg
Views:	107
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	234987  
Old 27th May 2021, 7:15 pm   #29
Radio Wrangler

Nice work!

And it'll help the other David S, too.

David
Old 28th May 2021, 7:48 pm   #30
John_BS
Octode

I've had a Gents PO exchange "Hipp Toggle" clock running in the house for several years. I'll post photos if anyone is interested. The internal wiring is original, but I run smaller resistive currents through the contacts to avoid "wear". Simple transistor bufffering.

John
John_BS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2021, 9:31 pm   #31
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I do the same with my 1920s home-built Hipp clock... a TO220 FET salvaged from a old telly, I think.
Nickthedentist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2021, 9:43 am   #32
David Simpson
Nonode

I'm really looking forward to using Jeremy's kit, looks ideal to me. Once its up & running I'll keep folk informed.
Once again, many thanks to all you vintage electro-horology experts and Jeremy for your input to this fascinating subject.
Just think - if I wasn't daft on shooting, smallholding projects, and past humping of heavy marine Tx's(wish I could blame another sort of humping), then I wouldn't have needed the clock owner's expertise(sports therapist) in massaging my old back. Hence never learnt about this aspect of electro-mechanical devices,(Nor Deltoids, Scapulars, or Rhomboids, etc.).

Regards, David
Old 30th May 2021, 7:26 pm   #33
Pamphonica
Nonode

I would be grateful if any master/slave clock owners could let me know the variety of pulsing schemes used on the most common ones. voltage/period/pulse duration etc. I can possibly incorporate a wider range of options if I get round to a Mk2 pulser. If necessary, PM me, as this may get us off-topic on this thread.
-Jeremy
Old 11th Jun 2021, 1:19 pm   #34
David Simpson
Nonode

Rain has driven me inside after heaps of outside work.
Initial tests of Jeremy's Magic Pulse Master feeding the IBM mechanism - Just great! Super compact, so will fit to the inside of the rear cover plate. Bakelite case polished to the best of my ability. Pity that some factory dick, many years ago, had painted the whole clock with a bitumastic type paint. Thankfully the owner has got most of it off.

Regards, David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Jeremy's Magic (a).jpg
Views:	43
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	235712   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeremy's Magic (b).jpg
Views:	42
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	235713   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeremy's Magic (c).jpg
Views:	42
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	235714  
Old 24th Jun 2021, 2:06 pm   #35
David Simpson
Nonode

More pictures of the fitment of Jeremy's circuit boards. All now finished & safely boxed-up for return to my pal in Fraserburgh. Regards, David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Jeremy's Magic (a).jpg
Views:	31
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	236345   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeremy's Magic (b).jpg
Views:	31
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	236346   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeremy's Magic (c).jpg
Views:	34
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	236347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeremy's Magic (d).jpg
Views:	35
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	236348   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeremy's Magic (e).jpg
Views:	29
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	236349  

Old 24th Jun 2021, 2:19 pm   #36
Pamphonica
Nonode

How gratifying to see this little project installed and working. Many thanks David for triggering this small development.
-Jeremy
Old 24th Jun 2021, 2:21 pm   #37
David Simpson
Nonode

More pictures.
I always feel nervous when I've completed a job for someone, but have to wait to drop it off. Now wearing two pairs of underpants & felt slippers whenever I'm in the wee workshop.
I must say that Jeremy's workmanship & minute wee veroboard soldering is a joy to behold. Can't wait to see his BVWS Bulletin article. Such a great alternative to a thumping big wooden-cased Master Clock, for someone with limited household space.

Regards, David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PICT0065.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	236357   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0066.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	236358  
Old 25th Jun 2021, 6:54 am   #38
merlinmaxwell
Dekatron

How do you set the time?
Old 25th Jun 2021, 10:13 am   #39
David Simpson
Nonode

Jeremy's design included pulse advance circuitry. Look at picture no4 & you'll see a diddy wee push button switch occupying one of the redundant cable holes. Prior to re-assembly I set the hour hand & minute hand to 12noon. The minute shaft had a wee square end & the hand is unadjustable once screwed on. The hour hand is just a tight push fit. The whole mechanism is secured to the faceplate wuth a lock nut. Getting an accurate display needs a fair bit of gentle alignement of all three & avoidance of damaging the wee drive shafts. Spot-on to within a second - - nah, nah, but to within 30 seconds - yes. Once the casing is re-assembled, there is no means of mechanical adjustment. The original "third wire" pulse from the Master Clock has been fully explained my the experts in earlier thread posts.
Now - just plug into the mains a few minutes before the displayed time, and press the wee tit every 5 to 10 seconds until the hands are the same as your Rolex Oyster.
For anyone who doubts Jeremy's gizmo's accuracy, he's also added adjustable circuitry which could give you NPL accuracy to the Nth degree. But this isn't required for a basic 60 year old simple solenoid operated (worn) mechanism.

Regards, David
Old 25th Jun 2021, 12:00 pm   #40
merlinmaxwell
Dekatron

Thanks, I too have a once a second pulse for the whole house, makes doing GMT/BST easy. If I get dial scatter, that is not all of them the same, it is still a stand on chair, pop the back off and fiddle by hand job.

Here is mine, all rewired by me using "period" wire. The first photo shows the MSF receiver that gives loads of different pulses for all sorts of clocks, I use it here for the synchroniser, every day at 3PM. I do it twice, once a bit early and then at the epoch, you can get a 2 second ambiguity if only done once.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1000257.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	236417   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000256.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	236418   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000255.jpg
Views:	25