UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Jun 2021, 10:28 pm   #41
murphyv310
Dekatron

Default Re: Going Mobile with Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post
Passed my IAM course at 19 and still try and uphold high standards.

Am I missing a post ? I replied to Graham saying spot on and in todays conditions I would not want to be mobile even if it was legal.

Perhaps I didn't press post.

Mobile was fun in the 1970,s.

Apologies if my post was meant to be deleted.
Hi David.
Same here and ROSPA.
Although I do pop on a mag mount for 2 meters every now and again I never even connect the coax to the radio unless I'm off road and parked up.
Anyone thinking that being an amateur radio operator means they won't be distracted using his or her radio is really out of touch with reality.
Old 11th Jun 2021, 10:12 am   #42
HECTOR63
Banned

Again Many thanks for all the replies folks and the takes and advices on Hands Free operations etc.Im with the 'It can Wait Party' and same as for mobile phone aswell.In the 80s and 90s when I used to be in th esales side of cellular etc it was the mainstream,but in later years now things can wait that little longer for me and texts and email are majic.At leat im not paying 75p per messege as in the old days with SMS in use and having a rather expensive but nice Motorola MicroTac 2SE with dashboard mount handset and all the applicable jazz etc.But its been great advice along the way and helped greatly as a home station just isnt practical at the moment.I may yet opt for Handheld as opposed to fixed mobile as easier to keep away from any security issues whilst unattended but in the awareness of battery use etc its going to be fun.Meanwhile the recievers are taking shape from repairs etc that I have and as my portable Icom is just great for palm size use I may yet still have a dabble with an SDR for the digital side of things just to get a feel for it whilst in study of foundation course.
Old 13th Jun 2021, 3:10 pm   #43
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Way way back when four star was less than a quid a gallon and filling stations offered quadruple (whatever that meant) Green Shield stamps I used to operate 2m mobile with a fist mic. This was mainly to relieve long boring evening journeys on motorways when, in my aged jalopy, I rarely ventured out of the left hand lane and the motorways were, certainly by today’s standards, sparsley populated. (It was so long ago I could drive at a steady 50mph and not be harrassed in any way and can remember some 150 mile journeys where I overtook nothing.) Even then, once I rejoined the non-motorway roads I usually ceased operating as dealing with ordinary roads and changing gear, etc., made operating far too dangerous IMHO on urban roads.

I was so pleased when the 2005 mobile phone law came out as it had become expected that work phone calls were answered no matter what. (In fact, at one place I worked at allowing the phone to ring more than three times was just short of a hanging offence.) I was determined not to have a hands-free and now had the perfect excuse for picking up calls at my destination and/or when convenient and safe for me – especially as they usually involved some technical content.

Given the new EMF regulations, which will probably end amateur radio for some who live in properties cheek by jowl with their neighbours, going mobile is one way of continuing the hobby and I have considered this though it would be parked up somewhere on a suitable high point.

I live in an urban area and there’s absolutely no way I would consider operating mobile – even with hands-free – in today’s aggressive Grand Prix cum Gumball Rally road conditions. Often I don’t listen to the radio, and even carrying passengers, who are generally aware when you are in situations that need all your concentration, can be a distraction. Perhaps it’s an age thing but I find I need all my wits about me, and then some, these days.
Old 14th Jun 2021, 12:20 pm   #44
HECTOR63
Banned

Thanks for the reply NickJust brilliant veiw of what becomes of my area of travells aswell.Round hear Boot Mounts are what I would call the Tailgates and Turbo heads that cause so much bullying with there driving tactics and likewise even I have the radio off most days due to issues with double parked cars and traffic coming toward you at varied speeds over speed bumps etc which causes all sorts of time to allow a give way or never get past the double parkers etc due to weights of oncoming traffic and there paths of ONE Way street mentality.This has led to a serious number of heated debates in the streets etc and all because they are left handing the mobiles most of the time and the right handers stand out a mile on the drivers side!Anyway this is my dilema to find a suitable mobile point to transmit from and homebase is a no go so its a challenge indeed! I think I shall continue to study with my FRG7700 and R-1000 radios and improve on there signal input the best I can whilst Im still interested in that venture and give the licence to operate a seat on the back burner till otherwise.
Old 14th Jun 2021, 5:19 pm   #45

Quote:
as not practical to practice from home due to Aerial sightings etc
There are many way to do a "stealth" aerial, what are the problems at your location?

Old 15th Jun 2021, 10:13 am   #46
HECTOR63
Banned

Well im based in a ground floor flat and being a tenant we have limited acess to about anything and everything!Im at the bottom of a hill with a radio mast within sight at the top of the hill.Surrounded by 20ft Plus trees (Heavy woodland) etc,its been enough for the installation of a sky dish and freeview areial to be installed and distributed with some major setup to aid its functionality.I personally do not use Sky just do not have the time for all that Jazz.Radio reception for FM is reasonable but noisey at times and DAB even the Plus version is somewhat hap hazzard!I have a Roberts Internet radio now to cater for the radio at home in due course.I have some Amatuer receiver home bases but neither amount to much at the moment and the Icom IR-C6 handheld with upgraded telescopic pulls in some odditys but really not much if any Ham activity at the moment.I have been looking at various indoor options with dipoles etc but so many people have said they either work or as deaf as a post,usually due to where Im based.So the outside even stealth is a no no as far as the land agents and lord are concerned,so Im still in a state of flux!I have access to a small webpage that gives me access as a guest to some SDR which is very clever stuff indeed but Im into real hardware-always have been.So thats a bit of where I am at the moment otherwise alls okay.
Old 15th Jun 2021, 3:58 pm   #47
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I'm sure you know your own area but given your stated general location (Bedfordshire) maybe someone in the same area can list some good static mobile operating spots. I've only spent one brief weekend in Bedfordshire but in that time I 'found' the Dunstable Downs which are quite a good raised spot to park up and operate from.
Old 15th Jun 2021, 4:38 pm   #48
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Good spot near Biggleswade...take a look around.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.04...7i16384!8i8192
Old 15th Jun 2021, 4:57 pm   #49
dodgy-dxer
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_G4MDC View Post
Good spot near Biggleswade...take a look around.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.04...7i16384!8i8192
Folk law has it that the the next highest land East of there is the Ural Mountains

It is a good 2m site

Sadly the pub in walking distance is now closed

Misspent youth!

73 Fred G4BWP
Old 15th Jun 2021, 5:01 pm   #50

I like going /p (portable/manpack), even done a bit of 20 metres from pubs getting people to "erect" the aerial (a bit of wire), pub plumbing for earth (croc clip on radiator pipe). A quick contact to the Ukraine* or somewhere else and letting people to talk to the other station "here is my guest" sort of thing. Amateur radio is about having fun, I don't think I have broken any rules

*Always a good "hop" from here, telling the crowd that this is only five Watts and has gone thousands of miles brings amazement.

Old 16th Jun 2021, 1:55 pm   #51
HECTOR63
Banned

Many thanks again Folks for the advices in Bedfordshire-yes iused to do alot of CB back in the very late 70s and many a day and night with flat car batteries etc with mobile.Great area indeed,but these days its become a bit of a commercial enetrprise and parking is a premuim event in itself!That said DDRC do many rallies etc there,so when CV permitting we can get to one and have a vhat with the locals as to there uptakes with its ongoing upkeep and they may have an area open to them for there activities in agreement with the Downs management team etc.Stockwood park is another possibility as again it hosts a fair and rallies with strong club attendances too.But again when there are no retail activities etc then its the same kind of senario etc with walkie talkers etcand its just up the road and round the conrner from me.Biggleswade is a bit of a strech really just for the sake of but maybe later on I shall give that a spotting.Otherwise I think its up to me to get into a club somewhere and see what becomes of that once I have the course under belt then consider to go for the exam when confident to do so.
Old 16th Jun 2021, 3:46 pm   #52
HECTOR63
Banned

Is it free parking at Dunstable Downs?
Parking charges at Dunstable Downs are a disgrace. There is now only one £2.50 charge (raised from £1) for all-day parking with no scale of charges, although you are unlikely to stay for more than a couple of hours.

Just copy and pasted advices,its a fair rate I guess for what is,just gets extremeley busy and most que for ages or circulate to park later!
Old 16th Jun 2021, 3:49 pm   #53
HECTOR63
Banned

http://www.ddrcbootsale.org/
Updates on local activity too with the club advices for Stockwood Park and Dunstable downs.
Old 16th Jun 2021, 8:11 pm   #54
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I believe the big car park at Dunstable Downs falls under the auspices of the National Trust, so if you happen to be a member you don't pay anything to park in their car parks and your time there is unmetered.
Old 17th Jun 2021, 9:51 am   #55
HECTOR63
Banned

Many Thanks Sirus yes that sounds about right,but meaning of being a member and not sure what there costs are and have no personal interests in the National Trust Im afraid,its going to be parking payment for me.But still useful information to know and a lot of work has been done up there to make it what it is today.Can get extremeley busy in the summer and Ques to the park although well managed can be difficult to traffice if you get stuck in one and just travelling past to visit Whipsnade,Studham or Kensworth etc from that direction.Still had a great time up there in the early days and still remebeber and made many friends that I still have today
Closed Thread