UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Old 9th Jun 2021, 9:15 am   #1
MeerKat
Pentode

Default Cooling fan for an ImmerSun T1060 please

Size is 50mm X 50mm X 15mm, 5 volts, 3 wire.

Have you got one?

I couldn’t find one in the usual places so settled for one from RS that was just about identical, 10mm thick instead of 15 mm but the T1060 complains with ‘ERROR 13 FAN FAULT’

The AV-5015S number is not unique, I have even seen 2 wire fans and centrifugal fans with this number.

I have contacted makers, no reply so getting a bit desperate as hate wasting power!

All costs paid, please PM me.

Regards,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7954.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	235629  

Illegitimi non carborundum
MeerKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jun 2021, 11:07 am   #2
G6ONEDave
Heptode

Default Re: Cooling fan for an ImmerSun T1060 please

It might be a silly comment but have you checked that the wires on the new fan are the same functions as the old one? I mention this as I had to replace a fan in a digital projector and although the size was correct the wiring was not. The 3 wires were in a different sequence and also different colours just to add to the confusion. Another confusion with fans is that some have the third wire as a feedback tacho signal whilst other types have 2 supplies for fast/slow operation.

Dave
Old 9th Jun 2021, 1:06 pm   #3
MeerKat
Pentode

Hi Dave,

The replacement has the same 3 coloured wires as the original. I have checked the red and black ones are for the supply by connecting them to a PSU and they both run.

The T1060 is intelligent in that it only starts the fan at 55% PWM when the heatsink reaches 46C then for each 1C increase in heatsink temperature it ramps the PWM up an extra 5% i.e. at 51C the PWM is 80%. For each increase in PWM you can hear the fan speed increase a bit more.

The T1060 will run with the RS jobbie but it’s not a happy bunny!

I have just scoped them, the original is putting out about 300mV on the yellow wire and the RS jobbie is only giving about 7mV so need more investigation!

Regards,

Last edited by MeerKat; 9th Jun 2021 at 1:33 pm. Reason: more detail
Old 9th Jun 2021, 1:43 pm   #4
G6ONEDave
Heptode

Hi Andrew,
Does RS have a data sheet for the new fan, if so maybe worth checking what the pulse output is specified as. Might be a faulty fan or the new fan might need a feed resistor from the 5 volt supply to it's pulse out. Perhaps even a 2 resistor potential divider system to produce the output across the lower or higher resistor in the series chain. A data sheet will show if this is needed. Otherwise you could try a single transistor follower to boost the pulse to a level that the T1060 can detect.

Dave
Old 9th Jun 2021, 2:07 pm   #5
MeerKat
Pentode

Hi Dave,
The datasheet on RS is not much good but I've just found a better one on Mouser and it's an open collector output on the yellow wire, that would account for the low output and your idea of a resistor chain just maybe the answer! I'll give it a try......watch this space!

Regards,

Old 9th Jun 2021, 2:38 pm   #6
McMurdo
Dekatron

the 3rd (usually yellow or white) output wire can have lots of different functions.; It's either 'fan ok', 'rotor locked' or a tacho pulse. It can then be NPN , PNP or push-pull output.
So you need to know the function of that wire or you'll be buying 3-wire fans for some time!

As an example one of the products I service here needs a 'rotor locked' signal that must be present (pulling down to 0V) before and during fan startup, only switching off 2 seconds after the fan blades are detected to be at standstill.
Any other variation and the equipment will trip with a fan error.
Old 10th Jun 2021, 2:51 pm   #7
MeerKat
Pentode

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your info both, the wealth of knowledge on the forum never fails to amaze me!

Prior to this my thinking was given the same voltage and size, one 3 wire fan was much like another, with the third wire being a tacho output, how wrong I was!

Further tests on the RS jobbie reveal that with a pullup resistor on the yellow wire from positive, it goes high if you stop the rotor of the running fan, release it and a few seconds later it restarts and yellow goes low again. That’s the only time it goes high.

Do the same thing with the original fan and you get a lovely 1 to 1 square wave tied to fan speed.

So the RS jobbie is not going to work!, I may have located a near identical fan in China, the only difference is it’s only 10mm thick and draws a bit less current, no spec sheet though. I never imagined it was going to be this hard to find a replacement.

Regards,

Last edited by MeerKat; 10th Jun 2021 at 2:55 pm. Reason: detail