UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jun 2021, 12:30 am   #21
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Default Re: Quartz crystals.

Well, how about making it an "outboard" unit so the Pye remains in mint condition?

As for getting a xtal, that really depends on whether you think the exorbitant price of custom xtals is worth it these days. Two custom xtals is going to way outstrip the value of the PYE.
Old 3rd Jun 2021, 1:02 am   #22
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

To be civilised you need at least one other frequency in addition to the calling frequency. It's rather bad form to yak on the calling frequency even on apparently deathly quiet bands - you never know who might be listening out for their colleague to call and fuming because you are blocking the calling frequency.

I have a Realistic TRC-1002 - a 1.5 watt 2-channel FM handheld, crystalled on 29.600 and 29.610. By coincidence, those crystals came from Quartslab.
Old 3rd Jun 2021, 8:22 am   #23
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8BBZ View Post
Hi All,
Just in case it is of use to somebody, there is a crystal manufacturer in the Czech Republic who will do one off crystals and are not too expensive.
KRYSTALY, Hradec Králové, a.s.

http://www.krystaly.cz

I believe this is the company who make the crystals sold on the VMARS forum.
cheers
Peter G8BBZ
That's correct Peter.

I beieve that a B44 sold on VMARS-Collector recently and there was also some discussion on crystals needed for different versions of that radio. There might be enough B44 owners around looking for crystals to make up a bulk order?

Roger
Old 3rd Jun 2021, 8:53 am   #24
ex seismic
Heptode

A B44 Mk3 here in need of crystals for the calling channel. Snag for a group order is if I am correct (away from home and data right now) is that the Mk3 has a different crystal RX spec than the Mk2.

Gordon
Old 3rd Jun 2021, 8:59 am   #25
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Ref 20 & 21. Pye gear has more of a collector's following I think than any other make in the pmr market, so keep it as it is is what I would do. Maybe an external box with rf out at xtal freq? That could easily be reversed. About 30 years ago I modified my almost mint FT77 to add top band to the already 80M to 10M coverage including WARC bands. There was an article in PW whereby you sacrificed a segment of 10M to replace with 160M. Note my word ADD. I devised a method whereby all original bands were retained and the blank bandswitch position which contained the endstop was used by removing it and allowing the wiper to select itself. This was used with a little additional veroboard circuitry to switch to 160M without changing the appearance.
Maybe my FT77 is unique in having all bands plus 160?
What I am suggesting is that where a non-reversable mod looks the only solution, sometimes there may be an alternative.
Rob

Last edited by CambridgeWorks; 3rd Jun 2021 at 9:01 am. Reason: typo
Old 3rd Jun 2021, 9:59 am   #26
Radio Wrangler

There's a lot of labour goes into making a crystal on a custom frequency, so they are inevitably expensive. As fewer are made, the companies making them have got thinner on the ground, and the necessary skills rarer, so even with custom parts, there are effects from what little economies of scale there were.

David