UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 31st May 2021, 9:18 am   #1
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Mains Connector Identification

Can anybody identify the name/type of the mains connector shown in photos 1 and 2

The sprung metal contact arms connect to the the earth wire in the 3 core mains cable.

I remember this type of connector being used in various vintage equipment such as steam irons etc.

The cables in photos 1 and 2 are of the mains cable that came with my Grundig TK 35 reel to reel tape recorder and may well be the original cable for that machine. The TK 35 mains connector on the machine has a metal surround (that I am pretty sure connects to the internal ground connection) that the sprung earth contacts on the cable connector make contact with, so connecting the earth connection.

In Post 19 of this linked Thread the OP cals the connector a 5815 (which is the number on his connectors). This Post is specific to the Uher 22 Special tape recorder.

https://www.google.com/url?client=in...zihfImU1D8_Fgs

I have a Uher 22 Special which came with mains cable as per Photo 3, which is the same type of connector but the earth sprung contact pins have been removed by someone. The Uher 22 mains connector on the machine has a metal surround the same as the Grundig. I have not yet checked if the Uher metal surround is connected internally to the power supply ground/internal metalwork.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	235119   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	235120   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	235121  

Last edited by DMcMahon; 31st May 2021 at 9:23 am.
Old 31st May 2021, 10:07 am   #2
woodchips
Octode

Default Re: Mains Connector Identification

Don't know what they are called but commonly used on 50's equipment, in my case Madas and similar calculators.
Old 31st May 2021, 10:15 am   #3
factory
Octode

See numbers 29 & 30 on this page; https://www.plugsocketmuseum.nl/ApplConn_classic2.html

It gives the maker as Kautt & Bux.

David
Old 31st May 2021, 10:59 am   #4
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Thank you David, I have seen that museum page before but never thought this time to check it.

The inlet item 29 (male chassis connector) shown is the same part as on my TK 35. On the Uher 22 the chassis connector is a more modern metal surround connector.

David
Old 31st May 2021, 11:02 am   #5
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Had to Google Madas calculator, looks very interesting.

David
Old 31st May 2021, 11:13 am   #6
factory
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
Thank you David, I have seen that museum page before but never thought this time to check it.

The inlet item 29 (male chassis connector) shown is the same part as on my TK 35. On the Uher 22 the chassis connector is a more modern metal surround connector.

David
Possibly the metal one in the note 1 link to here (picture 15); https://www.plugsocketmuseum.nl/Czech1.html

David
Old 31st May 2021, 12:32 pm   #7
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by factory View Post
Quote:

David
Possibly the metal one in the note 1 link to here (picture 15); https://www.plugsocketmuseum.nl/Czech1.html

David
Yes possibly David.

The reference to 15 being the same as the linked Kautt & Bux 24 and 25 appears erroneous, 24 and 25 have single sided earth contact, probably should have said 29 & 30. Also the text for picture 15 identifies the connector in question as 5916, whereas the Czech sourced connectors (which look extremely similar if not the same) in the Uher 22 link shows them to be 5915.

David
Old 31st May 2021, 12:41 pm   #8
DMcMahon
Dekatron

As an aside the Uher 22 and 24 Hi-Fi Specials were marketed in the USA by Martel as the Uher 9000L.

David
Old 31st May 2021, 10:27 pm   #9
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
I have a Uher 22 Special which came with mains cable as per Photo 3.

David
Update to above, Uher 22 should have read Uher 24.

David
Old 1st Jun 2021, 10:24 pm   #10
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by factory View Post
Quote:

David

David
Yes the chassis fixed plug does look like picture 15. It does mechanically and electrically connect to the chassis metalwork/chassis ground.

Thank you all for the useful feedback.

Mods this Thread can now be closed thank you. I will start a new thread in the Vintage Tape section to cover progress with the Uher 24.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	235210   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	235211  
Closed Thread