UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Feb 2021, 2:59 pm   #1
HugoVonStype
Diode

Default Dismantling a Pye Philips PFX

Hello, I have a Pye Philips PFX handheld ex police radio. I am attempting to replace the green off/on switch with a replacement cannibalised from a non working PFX. After taking of the back cover, it seems to remove the switch I need to remove the front cover. Does anyone have any knowledge about how the front cover removes please? I imagined it may slide off, but I am having no luck.

Regards

Mark
Old 27th Feb 2021, 12:24 am   #2
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Dismantling a Pye Philips PFX

Please see the attached from the service manual:-

It looks as though the fixing screws for the lower corners go all the way through to the front panel on both the long and short body versions. The other screws which hold the rear panel on screw into posts which can themselves be unscrewed once the rear cover is off, and they are what are holding the front panel on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pye_PFX_Assembly.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	227752  
Old 27th Feb 2021, 10:55 am   #3
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Don't you get to the on / off switch by removing the battery twist plate?
It's underneath along with the fuseholder.

You will only need to go in the main compartment to disconnect the flying lead.
Old 27th Feb 2021, 6:17 pm   #4
HugoVonStype
Diode

Default Re: Dismantling a Pye Philips PFX.

Thank you for this, I can see that now that I have unscrewed the twist plate. I would like to solder the leads to wherever they go inside. Thank you for your help, much appreciated.

SiriusHardware and Jon G4MDC. Thank you very much for both of your replies. I can see now that the switch comes off after unscrewing the bottom twist plate, and that the screw pillars are what is holding on the top of the front plate. Thank you so much to both of you. Regards, Mark G1YWY.
Old 28th Feb 2021, 11:21 am   #5
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

A pleasure Hugo. Nice to see someone still using one.

I worked in the development lab for a short while so I have a soft spot for them.
Old 28th Feb 2021, 3:33 pm   #6

A PFX was my first VHF handheld, "liberated" (was a bit tatty, surly what we would call a WEE bin find today) from PYE Telecom in the 80's by a mate. It was a long body version with 1750kHz bleep and 99 simplex and repeater channels programmed. Built like a tank, any policeman could leave the truncheon behind. It cost me a night of beer.

Old 28th Feb 2021, 5:43 pm   #7
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

hehe, I have one rather like that too. In my case no 1750 but it does have DZVEI Selcall.
4m one and a few 70cm ones as well.

If only they could be reprogrammed without needing the damn 82S13x PROMs.

If I had nothing else on a new control board with a PIC and modern serial load synthesier might be tempting. Same trouble with MX294/6!
Closed Thread