UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Old 22nd Feb 2021, 6:43 pm   #1
Ottawaboy
Diode

Default Adding external speaker to Wireless set 19

Working on a Wireless Set 19 Mark II (Canadian). Anyone had experience(s) adding an external speaker (e.g., connections to output, impedance transformer, etc)? Thanks.
Ottawaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2021, 12:48 pm   #2
Orakle42
Pentode

Default Re: Adding external speaker to Wireless set 19

Hi

Assuming you want only the A set output from PL2- a Pin 4, drive it into a computer sound system with stereo inputs in parallel - no problem. You will even have an amplifier as well. This assumes the B set & intercom are not required.

PL2-a Pin 4 comes from a tap on the secondary of output transformer T2A which is a low impedance source.

Orakle42
Orakle42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2021, 2:35 pm   #3
Ottawaboy
Diode

Thanks, that's an option I had not thought of. Yes, only using A set as a receiver.
Thanks again.
Old 23rd Feb 2021, 6:58 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

In times-past it was Not Unusual [sorry, Tom Jones] for the 6V6 in the WS19's intercom-amplifier to be reworked to serve as an amplifier able to deliver 4 or 5 Watts of audio power: great for listening-on-the-speaker to shortwave broadcast stations on the 41- and 49-Metre bands.
G6Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2021, 6:24 am   #5
M0SOE_Bruce
Pentode

The output impedance at pin 4 is 100R. It was designed that way to drive multiple headsets. Most speakers are 3-8R so the impedance mismatch will result in lower audio out. By using a matching transformer you'll get best signal. Hammond type 144B is 200R CT to 3.2R so by using 1/2 of primary you'll have a perfect match.

Is the set stand alone or part of a system, ie control box or display?
M0SOE_Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2021, 8:05 am   #6
vosperd
Hexode

On my mk3 ws19 I use an LS3 which is a military loudspeaker with a matching transformer which I believe gives 600 Ohms. This works well.
As I don't have the B set the unused aerial plug has been replaced with a 1/4" jack socket.
I haven't changed the main wiring so I can still use the original headset if I need to.
I have also successfully used a 3 Ohm speaker with a 100V line transformer as used in public address systems, I think these are available.
Don m5aky
vosperd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2021, 10:42 am   #7
Keith
Heptode

I drive the headphones output through a transformer from a defunct Philips domestic valve radio. This had a third winding that was originally used for the negative feedback arrangement. This gives approximately the right impedance match and provides ample volume in a small room from an 8 ohm speaker. I have also used a small mains transformer successfully - we're not looking for hi-fi, after all.
Old 24th Feb 2021, 11:54 am   #8
Ottawaboy
Diode

thanks for the response, I use the set as a receiver only for SW listening, with a mains PS and not a complete set up.