UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Old 22nd Jan 2024, 10:46 pm   #21
Tim
Dekatron

Default Re: Quad II Rebuild: Wiring Loom Quality Check

Quote:
installing TXE 2 telephone exchanges. Only difference was most of the cables were multi cables around 20mm diameter !! We used waxed cord and a thin piece of steel around a foot long with a hook/groove punched in one end. I probably still have one somewhere.It was used for pulling the cord under the loop and then you could move along and use it again on next loop.
Mike.
Hi Mike. I think there were a few different sizes. Here’s my “ pocket size” version.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0911.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	291407  
Old 23rd Jan 2024, 9:02 am   #22
malcolm.fraser
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprepairman View Post
Hate to say it but that wiring looks a bit naff to me.
What was wrong with the original wiring?
Thanks for that, original wiring gone, what would you suggest for improvement?

Have been using the attached as a reference guide....

M.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ref Book Wiring.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	291427  
malcolm.fraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jan 2024, 11:32 am   #23
Richardgr
Heptode

What was the source of the wiring you are using? It looks like a stripped household mains flex, where the thick outer wall is part of the protection of the core over repeated bending cycles? Proper hookup wiring is usually a lot less clunky.

In this application the bulk of the complexity is on the turret boards so should be OK. The green/yellow is a bit of an issue because wiring regulations generally state it can only be used for one single purpose, which is safety earth, but not sure if that applies inside a chassis. The question you have to ask yourself is if another person was to work on the amp in the future could they have an accident because they were misled?

Just FYI, the stuff I use is purpose made for hookup, either solid core 20 AWG (0.52mm2) with teflon insulation, or multicoloured 22AWG (0.32mm2). If the wiring has some rigidity it can be positioned without the need for all of those cable ties, which can be a pain later on if you need to do any maintenance. The solid core is great for heater runs, after spinning it with an electric drill to create a long twisted pair. I prefer to have plastic cable clamps for managing the routing of the wiring if it is in danger of moving around.
Richardgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jan 2024, 2:12 pm   #24
toprepairman
Tetrode

Similar thoughts as Richard.
I've used 18AWG solid core to great effect, 20AWG also ok though wouldn't go any smaller for valve stuff.
Chinese company called Tuofeng makes good solid wire.
In UK a source is 'WireProvider'.
toprepairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jan 2024, 9:12 pm   #25
malcolm.fraser
Tetrode

Thanks Richard and toprepairman,

Will add this to the list. Noting that this first build is prototype and have a list of improvements as I go. Once this unit is up and running for testing, then the second unit will be built incorporating any/all suggested improvements ergo the 'production' unit. If that also passes muster, then this prototype get stripped and rebuilt to match the production version.

Key objective here is to learn on the way, and wind up with a great pair of Quad IIs that will last another 62 years, so thanks for all the input, it's not wasted.

M.
malcolm.fraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jan 2024, 8:54 am   #26
Richardgr
Heptode

When I went to my local Elfa Distralec (now gone unfortunately) to buy some hookup wire I had to come away with 100meters for the solid core and 30m rolls for coloured multistrand. So if you see it on auction sites in shorter lengths then it is a good investment.
Richardgr is offline   Reply With Quote